Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
48585111

My wife has been diagnosed with panic disorder/anxiety disorder

My wife has been diagnosed with panic disorder/anxiety disorder for a year.
She has tried ten meds that have many side effects that she is not able to tolerate. She is taking 0.5 mg Lorazapam four times a day. She is having lots of confusion, sometimes not recognizing me. When she lowers the dose there is less confusion. Would you recommend a CT scan in case of tumor? We are desperate for direction for ongoing treatment.

Bill :

I am sorry to hear about this issue.

Bill :

From what you write, it appears that your wife may be a bit over sedated with this dosage of Lorazepam.In a sample of about 3500 patients treated for anxiety, the most frequent adverse reaction to Lorazepam was sedation (15.9%), followed by dizziness (6.9%), weakness (4.2%), and unsteadiness (3.4%). The incidence of sedation and unsteadiness increased with age.

Other adverse reactions to benzodiazepines, including Lorazepam are fatigue, drowsiness, amnesia, memory impairment, confusion, disorientation, depression, unmasking of depression,

Bill :

That said- and understanding that your wife has tried many medications, it may be good Idea to have her receive a Neurological workup to rule out any neurological issues that may be contributing to this.

Bill :

I am also attaching the protocol for treating Panic Disorder from University of Michigan's Department of Psychiatry - which is a center of Excellence in the treatment of Anxiety Disorders.

Bill :

Lorazapam alone is not going to make this better. If she is not being treated by a Board Certified Psychiatrist, she should be and this in coordination with Neurological Evaluation should ultimately result in a definitive diagnosis and treatment plan that will be effective in her treatment.

Bill :

CT scan and other studies will come as recommended by a Neurologist.

Bill :

If you have additional questions -feel free to ask.

Bill :

Kindest regards,

Bill :

Bill

Bill :

PLEASE LEAVE POSITIVE RATING SO THAT I RECEIVE CREDIT FOR MY TIME

Bill :

Thank you