TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

I had a panic/anxiety attack last year which scared the crap

I had a panic/anxiety attack last year which scared the crap out of me. Prior to the attack I was given Prosac which I believe caused this attack in the first place by heightening my frustrations. I am clearly off of this and my doctor game me Xanax /prn. Well, I do not use this all the time and when I did I split the pill into 1/4ths as I was getting dizzy spells. What I really need is a remedy to overcome anxiety. Not a pill. Any suggestions?

Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

It is good that you tried medications but you are correct, medications are usually not the answer to anxiety. They can take the edge off the anxiety so you can function, but if they do not work for you, then trying other options is a better way to approach panic/anxiety.

The good news is that anxiety is easy to treat with therapy. In therapy, you learn to pay attention to what you are thinking to make yourself anxious. The therapist then can help you change your thoughts and therefore how your body reacts to your thoughts. You also can learn about how to let yourself float through your anxiety thereby gaining more control over how you feel. When anxiety comes on, you allow it to flow over you without tensing or panicking in response. This makes the anxiety reduce or go away faster. To find a therapist, talk to your doctor about a referral. Or you can search on line at

Medications are helpful to ease the symptoms but they vary in their effectiveness. Each person has their own body chemistry and what works for one may not work for another. Also, once you take medication for a while, your body becomes accustomed to it and you either need an increase in dosage or you need to try a new medication. But medications can help to reduce your symptoms quickly so you can work on overcoming your fears.

You can also help yourself at home. There are numerous resources to help you learn more about anxiety and help yourself to overcome. Here are some to get you started:

The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Edmund Bourne is excellent for any fears. It is self help and contains everything from supplements to relaxation techniques.

The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Anxiety: A Step-by-Step Program by Bill Knaus Ed.D. and Jon Carlson Psy.D. Ed.D.

From Panic to Power: Proven Techniques to Calm Your Anxieties, Conquer Your Fears, and Put You in Control of Your Life by Lucinda Bassett

You can find these books on or your local library may have them for you.

Also, for quick relief, learning progressive muscle relaxation can help. If you can learn how to relax yourself when you feel panic and anxiety coming on, then you can more easily combat it. Here is a link on progressive relaxation for you:

I hope this has helped you,

Thank you very much for the positive rating and bonus! I appreciate it.

Take care,