Ryan LCSW, Mental Health
Experience:  Individual and Family Therapist

I know exactly the moment my mental health problems began.

I know exactly the moment my mental health problems began. it was a Saturday afternoon when i was 7 yrs old. my elder brother and his 'even older' friend raped me for the first time.
to ensure my silence they took me to the cellar ,trapped my hand in a vice, then turned the light off and left. I have no idea how long I was in there or how I got out. I only remembered the incident after three years of therapy. I feel that emotionally, I am still trapped in the cellar, waiting to be rescued.IF I were to return to the house,go into the cellar and this time, get myself out. Would this help with healing and closure of might my mind fracture completly?
Thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd like to help you out.

Depending on how strong you are currently feeling emotionally, it is possible that going back to the cellar could be extremely therapeutic. It could also be retraumatizing or even a combination of therapeutic and traumatic. There is definitely some truth to the idea that going back and getting yourself out could help with the healing and closure of this tragic incident. If you are feeling compelled to go back to this place, then it may be very important to do that at some point.

Even if it is helpful in some ways, it will most likely bring up a lot of emotions that may be difficult to process at first. Your mind will not fracture completely, but it is important that you are in the right frame of mind so that it does not become another traumatic incident. If you do decide to go back to the cellar I would highly recommend doing this either with a therapist or a trusted friend/relative. Even if you are feeling very emotionally stable it can sometime be hard to tell how you will react to this, so it is important that you have proper supports around you in the event that it is difficult for you at first. Having someone there to discuss this with before and after would ensure that you are taking the proper precautions if it becomes too overwhelming.

I definitely wish you the best with this, and if there's anything else I can do to help please let me know.