Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
46062601

I am a mess. I never do my hair and makeup. I dont clean house.

I am a mess. I never do my hair and makeup. I don't clean house. I barely wake up to get to work on time 2 days a week. I don't know what is wrong with me. I have no reason to be depressed. I am a hermit. I have become a lazy person. I don't know what to do.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Thank you for writing in JustAnswer.

Let me ask you a few questions first.
How are your sleep and appetite lately?
Do you have any medical condition?
Please let me know by clicking on “Reply” and I will then craft my response.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Warm Regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can't sleep. I blame that on working nights for 15 years. I have been on days for 1 year. I never have much of an appetite. They put me on effexor thinking it was depression 1 year ago. I haven't noticed a difference. I use to be a people person. Now I will do anything not to leave the house. I have 5 kids and just cook 1 pot meals. Usually I send one of my kids to the store for me. I have no energy and no want to.

Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 1 year ago.
Hi there
Thank you for your reply.
It sounds like you have depression.
Do you have a support system (e.g, family, friends etc..) in your area?
Are you seeing a counselor weekly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Why would I be depressed. My family is awesome. I don't see a counselor. Shouldnt the effexor be helping with depression?

Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 1 year ago.
Hi there
Thank you for your response.
So, you have no specific reason to feel depressed.
You have a wonderful family.
It sounds like the effexor may not be working for your condition.

A number of antidepressant medications are available to treat depression.
Finding the right medication for you will likely take some trial and error. It is necessary for you and your doctor to work together to find the right medication for you.

I also wonder if you have any medical issue.
Depression can disrupt the nerve impulses that carry a constant stream of orders from the brain to the muscles. When the depressed brain slows down, so do the signals to all parts of body. Depression affects MEMORY, problem-solving ability, language, perception and is accompanied by nervous tension, anxiety, and profound fatigue. It can generate pain and aches. Medical reasons for Depression may include thyroid hormone abnormality, Vitamin B12 Deficiency, Chronic pain, Stroke (Brain injury), Alzheimer’s disease to name a few. Malnutrition/brain damage can dull mood further. Excessive alcohol use may aggravate depression. Some medication can cause or contribute to depression. Your doctor should know all the medication that you are taking.

First, I would advise you to get a physical check-up from your primary care doctor to detect and rule out any medical condition that may cause or contribute to your condition.

If you are physically fine, you may try psychotherapy for depression. A combination of psychotherapy and pharmacotherapy are considered to be effective to treat Depression. Cognitive-behvaior therapy (CBT) will work for depression.

You may ask your doctor for a psychologist/psychotherapist that you can work with weekly. Or you may call your insurance company and get a list of providers (licensed psychologists or psychotherapists) in your area.
Or, you can search a licensed psychologist on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website. Go to (http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/ppc/prof_search.php?iorb=4764) and enter your zip code and optional category of specialty such as Depression. Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she specializes in Cognitive-behavior therapy and Depression. You may also want to create your mental image of psychotherapist that you want to work with – Male or female? To note, many therapists offer initial consultation for free. So you can see it as an informational meeting. You can ask any question and negotiate psychotherapy fee.
If you have no health insurance or seek a low fee counseling, you may call The United Way toll free # XXXXX (Dial 2-1-1)to find the community mental health centers in your area in which you can get counseling even without health insurance.

Also, a heart-healthy diet like Omega 3 fatty acid may improve your brain functioning and mood. Focus on fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Choose low-fat protein sources, such as fish, lean meat and skinless poultry. Hydrate yourself during daytime.

Physical activity increases blood flow to your whole body, including your brain. This may help improve your mood.
In addition, yoga, biofeedback, acupuncture, and massage therapy may be helpful to improve your mood and feel better.

Please let me know if you have more questions. Best regards,
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience: PsyD Psychologist