TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

I am concerned about my husband. he is well over 80, was successful

I am concerned about my husband. he is well over 80, was successful in business and recently had a 'losing' legal experience. it didn't cost him a 'fortune' , but he's been very depressed since he conceded in the matter; he's not used to losing.

I think he needs to discuss it with a professional. Do you think a well trained and highly recommended psychologist would be effective as a psychiatrist to treat him?
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like what your husband went through was a big blow to him. If he is not used to losing, it may be a big shock to him, making him question his abilities and maybe even his self worth.

If your husband is willing to talk to someone about what he experienced, that is a great step to help himself to feel better. A well trained and highly recommended psychologist would be just as good as seeing a psychiatrist maybe even better. A psychiatrist can do therapy, but they are M.D.'s with a degree in psychology so they mostly prescribe medications. A Master's level or Ph.D. level therapist mainly focuses on individual therapy which sounds like exactly what you and your husband are looking for.

You can find a good therapist in many ways. But the key to which therapist you choose is finding one that fits your needs. For example, a therapist that works out for one person may not fit what your husband needs. A therapist needs to not only be a good personality fit, but also provide the type of therapy you are seeking. So talking to a few therapists over the phone or in person can help you screen which one provides what you need.

Here are ways to increase the chances you find someone that is best suited to help you:

Ask your doctor. Doctors often come across people who need to talk to a therapist. Since the doctor can only offer medication to help, they usually refer out for therapy. And patients sometimes provide feedback so a doctor may be familiar with good therapists in their area.

Screen therapists on line. Here is a site that helps:

It also helps to be familiar with the credentials of therapists. Anyone who is a Master's level and above (PhD) is required.

Experience also is needed, especially in the area you are concerned about such as depression or anxiety. Here is a list of therapist's credentials:

I hope this has helped you,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I can't put a $ price on your advice, but I am impressed with the content.

I have in the past, had much better therapy with a psychologist than almost any psychiatrist I've worked with in the past.

Thank you for the reference sites; I hope they will yield the right person for him/ us.

P.S. Please pass on the suggestion to this outfit that the receiving party is better referred to as "client" , not "customer"!. Everyone understands that this service is traditionally paid for in some tangible form.

You're very welcome! I think your husband is in better hands if he sees a psychologist or Master's level therapist. There are some very good therapists out there, it is just a matter of finding them.

And thank you for your input about the site. The moderators are always looking for ways to improve.

My best to you both, Kate

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!