TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

I am looking for the best medicine to help me with anxiety.

I am looking for the best medicine to help me with anxiety. I have a long involved history. Much like many others. I find myself dealing with what i assume are panic attacks. I will wake up in the night like I have almost just been hit by a car, like an adrenelin rush. I start to obsess over things i have no control over. Mainly surrounding my work as a nurse- and potential patient outcomes. My history includes sexual abuse at age 10, traumaic work event with patient returning to my care for cardiac arrest by a wrong diagnosis in an ED. This really decreased my professional confidence. I lost a daughter at age 21 to a brain aneurysm (6 years ago). I just started a new job and have found after thinking through the night about my patients (as per usual) that perhaps i might have missed something serious, which I have no control over now. But this has triggered some severe anxiety. I beat myself up for not being perfect and potential for hurting someone with my work causes me almost incapacitating lack of confidence. If I missed something serious and caused someone death or other I would be a basketcase. Can you please direct me to the best answer for help, I love helping people and my workmates always say I am amazing. But they do not know everything about me that i do.

Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

What medication works for you depends very much on your personal health history, current medical status and the specific symptoms you are experiencing. Also, what you hope the medication will help you with is important as well. Some people take medications to try to eliminate all their symptoms and others take medication just to take the edge off their symptoms so they can cope better. Here is a guide to anxiety medications to help you determine what may work for you:

You may also need to see a mental health professional to determine what your diagnosis is and to decide a course of treatment, such as therapy. From your question it sounds like you have been through many traumas. The loss of a child, life and death job decisions and past sexual abuse. All of these occurrences can cause you to experience symptoms of PTSD, and you may be experiencing anxiety as part of your symptoms.

You could also have anxiety disorder as well as grief. It is important that you know what you are dealing with before considering treatment. If you feel that you need relief before you see a mental health professional, you may want to consider a medication like Ativan or Xanax to help you reduce your symptoms and make them more manageable so you can work.

You can also work on your anxiety at home. Self help not only helps you learn more about anxiety, but it can help you find the tools you need to feel better. Here are some resources to help you: On line links:

The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Edmund J. Bourne

When Panic Attacks: The New, Drug-Free Anxiety Therapy That Can Change Your Life by David D. Burns

The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Anxiety: A Step-by-Step Program by William J. Knaus EdD and Jon Carlson PsyD EdD

Coping with Anxiety: 10 Simple Ways to Relieve Anxiety, Fear & Worry by Edmund J. Bourne and Lorna Garano

Support groups:

I hope this has helped you,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

does anyone do over the internet counseling? Like yourself?

There are sites that do internet counseling. You can do a search (I'm not allowed to make personal recommendations, sorry) and they will come up. It is becoming more popular so you will most likely find a number of sites to choose from.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok more direct, can you internet counsel me?

I can provide on going answers to you through the Just Answer format, but it is limited to question and answer, with you rating each answer. I would be happy to help you further if that is acceptable to you.

Thank you very much for the positive rating and bonus! It is very appreciated.

If I am able to help in any way in the future, please let me know.

Take care,