TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

hi, i am male 32, 70kg, 172cm, i have been suffering from

hi,

i am male 32, 70kg, 172cm, i have been suffering from what i think anxiety attacks from time to time for the past 2 years only, and lately more often, i sweat and get cold at the same time, my heart races and breathing difficult. sometimes it starts right when i try to sleep, sometimes when i get stuck in traffic or into a long dark tunnel, and once when i went into an MRI closed machine i couldnt last 2 mins. i lately feel anxious when i smoke cigarettes too.
My family doctor put me on Lexotanil, 0.75mg in the morning and 0.75mg at night (half tablets).

i want to get back to normal life, i was never like that with same life circumstances, and need to fix my shoulder injury by going into the MRI but i cant (i was never chlostrophobic ever before).

is this dosage correct ? should i keep it going ? and can i do sports or gym at the same time ?

what are your recommendations...

Thank you.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

It does sound like you have anxiety. The symptoms you describe are attributed to anxiety. The medication you are taking is what your doctor feels fits the best with your physical health. A full evaluation is needed as well as medical history to determine the correct medication just for you. Everyone is different so that is why seeing your doctor is so important.

If you have only been taking your medication for a few days, then it has not yet had time to start working. Most medications take at least a few weeks to be fully effective. They may start working some before then, but to get the full benefit it takes your body time to adjust. So allow this time to pass to see if you feel your medication is working correctly or needs adjusted.

Here is a link to help you learn more about medications for anxiety:

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/anxiety_medication_drugs_treatment.htm

In the meanwhile, if you feel too anxious to wait, you can ask your doctor for a prescription for a medication called Ativan. It is a quick acting medication that provides relief from your symptoms. However, it does not stay in your system long so you can use it to face situations where you feel anxious but it does not have lasting effects.

You can also ask for Xanax, but this medication can be highly addicting so you may want to ask about it if the Ativan does not help.

There are numerous other options for you to help you address your anxiety. One option is therapy. Anxiety is easy to treat with therapy. In therapy, you learn to pay attention to what you are thinking to make yourself anxious. The therapist then can help you change your thoughts and therefore how your body reacts to your thoughts. You also can learn about how to let yourself float through your anxiety thereby gaining more control over how you feel. When anxiety comes on, you allow it to flow over you without tensing or panicking in response. This makes the anxiety reduce or go away faster. To find a therapist, talk to your doctor about a referral. Or you can search on line for on line therapy which is a way to talk to someone day or night about how you feel.

You can also help yourself at home. There are numerous resources to help you learn more about anxiety. Here are some to get you started:

The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Edmund Bourne is excellent for any fears. It is self help and contains everything from supplements to relaxation techniques.

The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Anxiety: A Step-by-Step Program by Bill Knaus Ed.D. and Jon Carlson Psy.D. Ed.D.

From Panic to Power: Proven Techniques to Calm Your Anxieties, Conquer Your Fears, and Put You in Control of Your Life by Lucinda Bassett

http://helpguide.org/mental/anxiety_types_symptoms_treatment.htm

You can find these books on Amazon.com or your local library may have them for you.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!