TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

i think i have generalized anxiety i have ah feeling in my

i think i have generalized anxiety i have ah feeling in my body for everything i never feel normal its always an uneasy feeling or nervous feeling and i think its affecting my sex life i cant get an erection while attempting sex and wen i do it gets soft while in the middle of it and im only 19! at times i start shaking a little bit or have a weird feeling in my legs or stomache about the smallest things idk wats wrong with me can you help me
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

When you are anxious, your thoughts are causing your mind to think your in danger, such as when you are driving. Your body reacts by releasing adrenaline into your system. Adrenaline cause you to feel the body symptoms like you describe- weird feelings in your body, your stomach hurts (appetite can be affected as well) and an uneasy feeling, like something is wrong. It is much like after you have had a bad scare except with anxiety, there is no focus. The only thing you have to focus on is how you feel. And because your thoughts are probably always on alert, so is your body. This is most likely why you experience these symptoms.

The issues with holding an erection during sex may also be related to the anxiety. With anxiety, you are very in tune with the symptoms you are experiencing, including the fear. It can be distracting and your body reacts to that.

To be sure all is well, consider having a full physical by your doctor. As a rule, you want to eliminate any possibility that there is a physical cause for what you are experiencing. Most likely, you are just fine. But it helps to be sure.

The good news is that anxiety is easy to treat with therapy. In therapy, you learn to pay attention to what you are thinking to make yourself anxious. The therapist then can help you change your thoughts and therefore how your body reacts to your thoughts. You also can learn about how to let yourself float through your anxiety thereby gaining more control over how you feel. When anxiety comes on, you allow it to flow over you without tensing or panicking in response. This makes the anxiety reduce or go away faster. To find a therapist, talk to your doctor about a referral. Or you can search on line at http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/.

Medications are helpful to ease the symptoms but they vary in their effectiveness. Each person has their own body chemistry and what works for one may not work for another. Also, once you take medication for a while, your body becomes accustomed to it and you either need an increase in dosage or you need to try a new medication. But medications can help to reduce your symptoms quickly so you can work on overcoming your fears.

You can also help yourself at home. There are numerous resources to help you learn more about anxiety. Here are some to get you started:

The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Edmund Bourne is excellent for any fears. It is self help and contains everything from supplements to relaxation techniques.

The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Anxiety: A Step-by-Step Program by Bill Knaus Ed.D. and Jon Carlson Psy.D. Ed.D.

From Panic to Power: Proven Techniques to Calm Your Anxieties, Conquer Your Fears, and Put You in Control of Your Life by Lucinda Bassett

http://helpguide.org/mental/anxiety_types_symptoms_treatment.htm

You can find these books on Amazon.com or your local library may have them for you.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!
Thank you very much for the positive rating and generous bonus! I appreciate it.

If I can ever help again in the future, just put "Kate" in front of your new question and I will respond.

Take care,
Kate