Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
48585111

why would HIV Doc, Pain Management Doc, Oncologist Doc, and

why would HIV Doc, Pain Management Doc, Oncologist Doc, and Primary Care Doc tell me to go to a pychiatrist for Marinol and Xanax for pain and despression? All these doctors are ready to hand out Hydrocodone 10/325 like candy but will not continue my retired doctor's regiment that was working for me. I am in Houston, Texas if that makes a difference.

Bill :

Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

Bill :

I am sorry you are having to deal with this prescribing issue. I completely understand your confusion about this.

Bill :

The DEA closely monitors Doctors and the prescriptions that are written and Doctors cannot prescribe medications that are outside of their field of expertise and controlled medications like Xanax- (a benzodiazpine) can only be prescribed for someone who needs them on a longer term basis my a Psychiatrist, Neurologist or someone who specializes in the treatment of Disorders so associated.

Bill :

You are correct that a pain specialist can write all kinds of meds like Hydrocodone as these are in his/her give area of expertise.

Bill :

I causes much confusion for patients the DEA and FDA have cracked down on practitioners who violate this law and that is why you are being referred to a Psychiatrist by your Primary Care Doc. All of your Primary Care Docs and Specialists are bound by law to refer you in with this type of ongoing need.

Bill :

Detail on this can be found here:

Bill :

I trust this will help you understand the chaos. If you have additional questions -feel free to ask-I am happy to help.

Bill :

Kindest regards, Bill

Bill :

I appreciate your positive rating so that I receive Credit for my time.

Bill :

Thank you