TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

I am finding it difficult to cope with my mood swings. Today

I am finding it difficult to cope with my mood swings.

Today I woke up depressed; took all my self control to avoid screaming at the children and frightening them.

Then, about 8.40, I suddenly felt better. It was as if a switch had been moved in my mind. I came home and put the washing on, did 2 hours gardening (but deliberately taking it slowly) lunch, bath, ironing, school run, reading books with the kids. Then, equally suddenly, felt exhausted and tearful again.

I am taking 20 mg of citalopram for depression. Can you tell me how I can get some help?
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

Depression is characterized by feelings of hopelessness and worthlessness, lack of energy or motivation, thoughts of death and/or suicide and trouble concentrating. It is common to feel there is no hope and no way out.

Depression can also include mood swings, but it may be a good idea to talk to your mental health care provider about being screened for Bipolar, just in case. Most likely you would know by now if you had Bipolar, but it doesn't hurt to be sure.

If you have not tried therapy, you might want to at this point. Therapy is often one of the best ways to feel better. Medications are helpful to deal with the symptoms of depression but they do not get rid of them permanently. Therapy can do that for you. To have a better chance at finding a good therapist, ask your doctor for a referral. Or you can search on line at

Medications are also a good option, though they do vary in their effectiveness so you may need to try a few different ones to see what works for you. Each person has their own body chemistry and what works for one may not work for another. Also, once you take medication for a while, your body becomes accustomed to it and you either need an increase in dosage or you need to try a new medication. But they can help you deal with the symptoms until therapy helps you. If the increase in your current medication does not help you within the next 4 to 5 weeks, talk to your mental health professional about switching to another medication. Here is a guide to help you:

Motivation is a very difficult symptom of depression. It often keeps people from helping themselves and reaching out to others. But support and self help are vital in helping you overcome depression. Consider support groups, either on line or in person. People who are experiencing the same symptoms as you are can offer invaluable support, ideas and companionship to help you feel better. Also, working on your depression at home can supplement your therapy or other treatment. Here are resources to help you get started:

Once you are able to reach out, you will start to feel better. Let others support you and offer help. You do not have to do this alone.

I hope this has helped you,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry for the delay in replying.

I am not sure how therapy would help me. I have never had a traumatic life experience (except the purperal psychosis) so there is nothing to deal with.

I didn't think extreme and rapid mood swings a symptom of depression; but no matter what I say, it is depression I am treated for. What does the screen for bi-polar involve.

You can see any mental health professional from Master's level or above for an evaluation. They would ask you about your symptoms in detail, paying attention to screen you for the symptoms of Bipolar and depression. A family history is also requested (Bipolar can be hereditary as can depression). From there a diagnosis can be made. The therapist would then let you know the courses of treatment that are recommended from medication to therapy. Self help is also an option to supplement any treatment.