Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's

I really need help. I have emphysema and I still smoke cigarettes. Maybe 2-3 a day. I t

Customer Question

I really need help. I have emphysema and I still smoke cigarettes. Maybe 2-3 a day. I think that I have an obsession, rather than a addiction.
My husband named it obsession yesterday. We also talked about how I have been "hiding" my true self all my life and that I have sneaky behavior (I sneak to smoke). What can I do to help myself stop smoking. I am at my wits end. Nothing really seems to help. Thank you.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Bill replied 3 years ago.

Bill :

Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

Expert:  Bill replied 3 years ago.

The Chat system was not working properly.

I have a question for you and then i will respond.

Have you ever considered or tried Hypnosis to stop smoking?

I look forward to you response and will respond directly.

Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
years ago I tried hypnosis. Had a bad experience.
Expert:  Bill replied 3 years ago.

I am wondering if you would reconsider trying it again..........????

Information below addresses Hypnosis for Smoking Cessation in detail:

Kindest regards, Bill

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am having trouble with the chat, so will continue. Saw the article on hypnosis. I will give it a try. But, why in the world would I continue this obsessive behavior???
Expert:  Bill replied 3 years ago.
Lynne- The reason is that addiction to any substance brings an addictive obsessive component.

Even after a person has sustained or stopped using an addictive substance- they have issues related to obsessive behavior and thinking. This, at it core is a function of Anxiety.

That is why people who stop smoking often transfer to another substance (ex: Food)to accommodate the obsessive compulsive nature that co-exists with addictive behavior.

I am giving you a link from Harvard University that addresses Obsessive Behavior and provides many useful suggestions that will help you. You have to conquer obsession and compulsive behavior together. Hypnosis and Cognitive Behavioral Approaches are found to be most successful in accomplishing this without medication. This is a form of OCD and the treatment is the same:

Some of this will not apply to you but as you scroll down- the self help suggestions are applicable to you and will help you understand.

I am also attaching information on Anxiety and its treatment:

Patients also respond well to use of this Life Balance Toolkit:

Kindest regards, Bill