Ryan LCSW, Mental Health
Experience:  Individual and Family Therapist

Hi. I am 37, have made no real career progress in 15 years.

Hi. I am 37, have made no real career progress in 15 years. I went to one of the best Universities in the country, but left without completing my degree; I had already left my third year incomplete once before due to 'mild depression' and was similarly diagnosed with depression around the time I left. I have had no further problems of that kind since then, however I seem to have acheived very little. I had difficulty at college, took years to get any A levels, was inattentive and never studied at school, although I didn't do too badly even though I winged it through most of the exams. At Uni, most of my work was done the night before it was due (still got top marks for some of it somehow). Growing up I had increasing difficulty with socialising and a lack of confidence.
I have settled for work for which I am vastly over qualified and overskilled ever since I started out. At work, I have trouble with timekeeping and punctuality; I suffer extreme boredom and had fallen asleep at my desk before now. I regularly make silly mistakes with simple tasks. I regularly zone out when people are talking to me; at home my wife finds this particularly upsetting. Around the house I have trouble as a result of not noticing chores that need doing, forgetting to set the dishwasher at night and so on. I am surrounded by unfinished projects; typically they are things that are almost done, but need some boring bit finishing off: there's a scrap of tiling I never finished in the bathroom and I don't know why I still haven't done it etc etc. I am regarded as lazy, disorganised and having my head in the clouds. I am frequently questioned as to why I have done nothing with various talents over the years; I have no answer and in many ways have come to regard the attempt as futile. I have put off applying for other jobs for various reasons: the length of time it takes to find all the information needed to complete an application, for example, fear of the responsibilities or administrative burdens that might come with it. In many ways I would greatly prefer working for myself, but fear I would simply get nothing done.
Until last week I knew nothing about ADHD, save what passes for common knowledge (and largely erroneous, it would seem). I came to be reading an article by chance a few days ago and was struck by how comprehensively I was able to identify with the symptoms described. I am now eager to seek a referral from my GP to investigate this, but am having trouble deciding how to talk to anyone else about it, particularly my wife, as I am worried about how they will react. I wonder if people will think it's another one of my 'fads' and not support the process. All i wanted to ask is whether seeing my GP is the right thing for me to do; I just wanted to run it by someone else before I do.
Thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd like to help you out.

From what you've described, it does sound like it is at least worth getting evaluated for adult ADHD. I know you mentioned that you are extremely bored, and some of the symptoms of extreme boredom can also mimic those of ADHD, so it is important to take that into consideration too. It is possible that regardless of whether or not you are diagnosed with ADHD, that a shift to a more fulfilling job would greatly increase your ability to concentrate and feel more motivated because your mind will be more stimulated in general.

I've attached a link here to an online test from a reputable website that will help you to better identify whether or not you have ADHD. This does not replace a formal diagnosis, but it will give you a better idea if this is what you are struggling with. In that case, meeting with your GP is a great place to start. Sometimes GPs will treat this themselves, however it is also possible that your GP will refer you to a psychiatrist for a more complete evaluation. Either way, meeting with your GP is an appropriate place to start. While I can understand your concern about the support of other people, a formal diagnosis by a mental health professional would put to rest this idea that this is another fad, and will hopefully be the beginning of you getting all of this under control.

I definitely wish you the best with all of this, and if there's anything else I can do to help please let me know.