Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
48585111

Can boys doing ballet be victims of bullying and pr-edetermined

Can boys doing ballet be victims of bullying and pr-edetermined stereotypes? If so how dangerous can the bullying be for the child? Can it effect them menatlly and emotionally?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Bill replied 1 year ago.

Bill :

Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

Bill :

I am happy to help with this.

Bill :

Bullying is a serious problem -world wide- and can be extremely detrimental to children in terms of the physical emotional and social development.

Bill :

That is why many organizations exist to provide information and help to children and families effected by bullying,.

Bill :

Detail on effects of can be found at the following links:

Customer:

sorry im confused am i going to recieve a reply from Dr.Keane or do i ask my questions to you now?

Bill :

Dr. Keene is not available right now- I am happy to help you.

Bill :

I have current detail in the links that provides answer to your questions- if you have additional questions- feel free to ask.

Customer:

Okay becase i need a quote from a professional mental health therapist to use for my work?

Bill :

No problem-

Bill :

Having worked with children for over 35 years, "Bullying has become a widespread problem that causes extreme physical emotional and family distress and has been shown linked to higher rates of suicide in children and adolescents."

Bill :

Efforts to intervene and control this problem is supported by many social, governmental and school organizations, incorporating mental health experts , teachers, parents, families and the judicial system in the process..

Customer:

Ok thank you. What about young boys doing ballet? are they subjected to more bullying?

Bill :

Young Boys doing ballet would be at higher risk for bullying as they are engaging in an activity that would often be viewed by peers as atypical for the male gender and thus this would be a group often targeted by bully's.

Bill :

In recent years, a series of bullying-related suicides in the US and across the globe have drawn attention to the connection between bullying and suicide. Though too many adults still see bullying as "just part of being a kid," it is a serious problem that leads to many negative effects for victims, including suicide. Many people may not realize that there is also a link between being a bully and committing suicide.

The statistics on bullying and suicide are alarming:

• Suicide is the third leading cause of death among young people, resulting in about 4,400 deaths per year, according to the CDC. For every suicide among young people, there are at least 100 suicide attempts. Over 14 percent of high school students have considered suicide, and almost 7 percent have attempted it.

• Bully victims are between 2 to 9 times more likely to consider suicide than non-victims, according to studies by Yale University

• A study in Britain found that at least half of suicides among young people are related to bullying

• 10 to 14 year old girls may be at even higher risk for suicide, according to the study above

• According to statistics reported by ABC News, nearly 30 percent of students are either bullies or victims of bullying, and 160,000 kids stay home from school every day because of fear of bullying

Bully-related suicide can be connected to any type of bullying, including physical bullying, emotional bullying, cyberbullying, and sexting, or circulating suggestive or nude photos or messages about a person.

Some schools or regions have more serious problems with bullying and suicide related to bullying. This may be due to an excessive problem with bullying at the school. It could also be related to the tendency of students who are exposed to suicide to consider suicide themselves.

Bill :

I trust this will help you with your work-

Bill :

If you have additional questions- feel free to ask- and I will be happy to follow up.

Bill :

Kindest regards XXXXX XXXXX

Bill :

I appreciate your Positive Rating so that I receive Credit for My time

Bill :

Thank you.

Customer:

Thank you very much bill that is very helpful. Can i just take your full name, where your based and your job? so i can use it for the quote

Bill :

Will West, LCSW Private Practice, South Florida USA

Bill :

You are most welcome

Customer:

Sorry so are you a therapist or doctor? Sorry because i am from england and i'm not sure what the LCSW Private Practice is?

Customer:

O i found your profile it says psychotherapist. Thank you so much for help. I will rate you highly now.

Expert:  Bill replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Bill replied 1 year ago.
Yasmin-

Glad you clarified this.

I Appreciate your leaving a Positive Rating---it did not register. So, please re-rate.
Thanks, Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience: 35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's