TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

my girlfriend hit me a year ago and I told her never to do

my girlfriend hit me a year ago and I told her never to do it again and she agreed, she kneed me in the leg at the weekend. She is suggesting therapy but I am not sure it will make any difference as she doesnt seem to take responsibility at the moment but just wants me back I think. Does therapy work with potential domestic violence cases??
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

Therapy can work, but only if the person who is the abuser is willing to have insight, acknowledge responsibility and work on their issues. If your girlfriend is unwilling to accept responsibility for her actions, then it makes it very hard to work on the rest of her issues such as why she does these things and how to stop doing them. And domestic abuse is a very serious issue. It is not something you can let go such as a disagreement over how much a partner is working or issues with money, for example. Domestic abuse can develop to the point that the other person is in serious danger. Therefore, it is always advisable to leave a relationship until the abuser has completely dealt with their own issues.

You may want to try therapy to see if your girlfriend is willing to accept what she has done. The therapist's input will help as well. Therapists can usually tell if someone is serious about therapy by the work they do and how much they are willing to open up. So if you do decide to give this a try, the therapist can help.

I hope this has helped you,

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!
Thank you very much for the positive rating and bonus! I appreciate it. I'm sorry you are in this situation and if I can help in any way in the future, please let me know. Here is a link I thought might help you:

Take care,