TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

I have severe GAD hypochondria OKMH0204217

I have severe GAD hypochondria and agoraphobia. I have the flu right now with an upset stomach. I am so scared that I am going to throw up, and I am scared to throw up. What can I do?

Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

Fear of throwing up is common. For one, it is not pleasant and it hurts. Plus it means you are sick and that in and of itself can be scary. You don't know how long you will be ill and sometimes that alone can make you feel worse.

But it may help you to know that you are not alone with your fear. Many people feel as you do right now. A fear of throwing up can sometimes become a phobia and if that is what you feel is happening to you, there are many ways to address it and feel better.

Phobias are very easily dealt with through therapy and self help. Right now, you can use a few techniques to help yourself.

First, relax as much as you can. You are sick and there is not much you can do about that, but you can try to relax your muscles. If at all possible, try progressive relaxation to help you. Here is a link to help:

Also, think of a place you have been or a place you want to go that makes you feel good. Focus on this place. See the details. Feel the breeze or the temperature. Try to pull all your senses to the place and stay there as much as possible.

Try some positive self talk. Things like "I feel ill now but this will pass" can help a lot. Think about when you will feel better and reach towards that goal.

And if you think this is really a phobia, then once you feel better seeking help through therapy would give you a way to address your fear and help you overcome your fear once and for all.

I hope this has helped you,