Dr. L
Dr. L, Psychologist
Experience:  Psychologist, Marriage and Family Therapist
63993671

I need to do an interview for my university. Can I ask a few

I need to do an interview for my university. Can I ask a few questions about how you became a counselor ?

• In what setting do you practice?  How long have you been practicing?

• What are your specialties or areas of clinical focus?

• Do you have any special certifications or training beyond your original graduate coursework?

• How do you approach therapy or treatment?  Do you use specific modalities, techniques, or interventions?

• What ethical and legal issues do you think are the most challenging or common?

• Do you have an opinion on where you think the field of psychology is heading?

• What do you enjoy most about your work?

What advice would you provide an aspiring psychologist or therapist?

Thanks

Dr. L :

Dr. L :

Here are my answers to your questions:

Dr. L :

• In what setting do you practice? A mental health clinic. How long have you been practicing? nearly 30 years

• What are your specialties or areas of clinical focus? Mind/body therapy, trauma/abuse.

• Do you have any special certifications or training beyond your original graduate coursework? Yes. Certificate in Adlerian Psychology. EMDR certification. Trainer in Pesso Boyden Psychomotor Psychotherapy. Certified Supervisor in Psychology. Certified Supervisor in Marriage and Family Therapy.

• How do you approach therapy or treatment? Do you use specific modalities, techniques, or interventions? I tend to rely most heavily on Pesso Boyden Psychomotor Psychotherapy techniques and interventions, but also rely on trauma treatment skills, Adlerian Psychology, and other theories as applicable to the situation.

• What ethical and legal issues do you think are the most challenging or common? I think that far too many people practice outside the scope of their training...believing or acting like they can work with every client that comes in the door. This is not true and is harmful to both the client and the profession.

• Do you have an opinion on where you think the field of psychology is heading? I think we will see a greater use of social media to stay in touch with clients. I think that using skype or other such methods will allow therapists to reach out to clients in remote areas of the country and even world. I think new theories will continue to be posited and used.

• What do you enjoy most about your work? Being a agent for change in the lives of individuals.

What advice would you provide an aspiring psychologist or therapist? Get as much hands on training as you can. Your academic training is just one part of the equation. Never think you know it all. Be humble. Be aware that you have the capacity to harm or help another person with what you say and do.

Customer:

Customer:

I need your name please.

Dr. L :

I am sorry JustAnswer/Pearl does not allow us to identify ourselves in that manner.

Dr. L :

What you can do is to give your professor the following information if they want to check with me about my responses.

Dr. L :

You could run a copy of our chat...which you can do from your account. And then they will see this note from me.

Dr. L :

I am a licensed psychologist from mid-western U.S.A.

Dr. L :

I have been in practice for nearly 30 years.

Dr. L :

How is that?