Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

Hi I was diagnosed as bipolar since put on the medications

Hi I was diagnosed as bipolar since put on the medications celexa and gabapentin have have been like a zombi all I do is sit on the couch and watch tv I haven't been showering as much as I should and I feel more depressed now then ever my head always hurts and i have no disire to do anything please help I have lost my bf all my friends I never leave my house I'm never happy
Hello
Is it possible for you to mention the dose and timings of all the medicines you are taking currently and since when?
Thanks
Vikas
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Gabapentin 100mg 3times daily
Celexa 20mg once in morning
I have been taking them since dec 23rd
My anxiety is through the roof I'm always antsy my belly always hurts too
Thanks for your reply.
Gabapentin is very sedative medicine and in some patient it can cause significant sedation resulting in feeling of sedation, fatigue, lethargy etc. It is also not a preferred choice for treating Bipolar disorder.
Lamotrigine is also a mood stabilizer and the first line medicine for treating depressive symptoms in Bipolar disorder. It can also prevent the future manic or depressive symptoms so you can discuss with your doctor about trying Lamotrigine instead of Gabapentin and hopefully it should be helpful in your case.
For your anxiety symptoms, your doctor can consider the option of adding a benzodiazepine like Clonazepam in low dose to be taken on as and when needed basis. Clonazepam can effectively control your anxiety symptoms for long duration since it is a long acting benzodiazepine.
What are your thoughts on my suggestion?
Thanks
Vikas
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That sounds like a good plan I will talk to my doctor about it
Thank you
You are most welcome.
Thanks for coming to JA.
Please feel free to discuss further if you have other questions and press the reply back button. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate one of the positive ratings (3,4,5) as this is the only way how we are compensated for our time and expertise.
Please take a moment to rate the answer.
Kind regards
Vikas