Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

Hi, I have social phobia and depression. I see a psychiatrist

Customer Question

I have social phobia and depression. I see a psychiatrist every couple of months. When I was about 9 years old I was exposed to a high level of lead, and I belive I suffered some brain damage as a result. I read some things about lead poisoning on the internet about the effect it has on the brain and I can relate to some of what I read. I am now 37 years old. Should I tell my psychiatrist? Would this change the way I get treatment for social phobia and depression?
Thanks,
Patrick.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 1 year ago.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear XXXXX,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that I can help.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I am so sorry to hear that you suffered from lead poisoning as youth.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

This most certainly impacts some of your conditions. It might not be a direct cause but certainly impacts your functioning and state of mind.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You should absolutely tell your psychiatrist. He will want to know and it may affect his diagnosis and treatment..

Customer:

I'm worried that my psychiatrist may not know about the effects of lead poisoning.

Customer:

would they about that?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Your psychiatrist is a medical doctor and will know all about it. It is a common occurrence in Ireland and elsewhere in the world because of the extensive use of lead paints.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

There is much information to give him, available on the internet, but unless he is totally out of it, then he will know about lead poisoning.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Look at this article:

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_poisoning

Customer:

I tryed to tell a nurse and another doctor about it before but they didn't seem to know anything.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If your doctor is not interested then ask to see another doctor. Is it not already on your medical record?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Look at this site:

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

http://hbcprotocols.com/lead-poisoning-causes-depression-and-panic-in-adults-and-children.html

Customer:

no, I did not talk to her before about it. I am worried that she might think I making it up, because I belive that my father made me get it.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Made you get what?

Customer:

lead poisoning.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

How did he do that?

Customer:

he had me melting lead at the time.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Here is what the article I cited above>

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

A study released in this month’s edition of the Archives of General Psychiatry looked at 1,987 adults ages 20 through 39, finding that those with the highest blood lead levels were more than twice as likely to suffer a major depressive disorder and nearly five times as likely to suffer from panic disorders as those without elevated blood lead levels. The study is a rare look at how lead exposure can affect adults, as most research to date has been focused on the side effects of lead on children.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Doing hat and taking in the lead vapors could do that do you.

Customer:

would a brain scan show any damage that I might have?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

This is VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION and you must give it to your psychiatrist. If he is not interested, then get a new psychiatrist.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You get a "Blood Lead Test".

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

There are also imaging techniques, as you suggested.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/410113-overview

Customer:

ok. I will be meeting with my doctor on thursday, I will talk to her about it then.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

There may be methods of detoxifying your body.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

This is a serious issue and may be the complete cause of your depression.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Furthermore, a depressed person will show signs of social phobia or social anxiety because they are depressed and do not want the company of others

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You have been very intelligent and wise to make the connection to lead and your condition.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I shall keep you in my prayers for a complete detoxification and recovery.

Customer:

ok. thanks. I can't think of any thing else to ask you.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I hope I have helped.

Customer:

You did, Thanks.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You are very welcome

Customer:

Can I just ask about the fee I just paid? Is it just a once off payment or is it a subscription?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You don't pay until you accept my answer by giving me a rating. Let me check about subscriptions.,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

a positive rating, that is. I am checking

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You are not on subscription. There are not subscriptions for mental health questions.

Customer:

ok Thanks. I am very happy with the advice you gave me, you put my mind at ease. I will talk to my doctor about it when I meet her.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Thank you so much.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards XXXXX XXXXX of luck to you.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott, MAE, LPCC,NCC, CCMHC

Customer:

Ok thanks for the help. Good bye.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience: 35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.