TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Is it important to get a diagnosis if I have bipolar II . If

Is it important to get a diagnosis if I have bipolar II . If my M.D is already treating me with an antidepressant and a mood stabilizer but has not officially noted the diagnosis , can I be happy with receiving treatment and not having that diagnosis on my record? Or is there some benefit to having the diagnosis on my medical record? Thanks.
Hello, I'd like to help you with your questions.

It is beneficial for you to have the diagnosis on your record because of the nature of Bipolar disorder. Bipolar is thought to be caused by an imbalance in your brain chemistry. And because the symptoms can affect your ability to function, it is important for anyone who is treating you to be aware of this diagnosis so they have a complete picture of your current health. Also, the medications you take can interact with other medications that you are prescribed for health reasons so it is vital that anyone treating you knows this information.

Also, you may want to consider seeing a mental health profession such as a psychiatrist and/or therapist for an official diagnosis. Although your doctor can prescribe medications, doctors specialize in physical care, not mental health. Additionally, anti depressants can cause problems with someone who has Bipolar and they are not recommended as a treatment option. Seeing a psychiatrist, a doctor who specializes in mental health disorders, or a therapist, is the best way to get the treatment and correct medications for your situation so you can feel better and manage your diagnosis correctly.

I hope this has helped you,

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!
Thank you very much for the positive rating and bonus! I appreciate it.

My best to you,