Dr. Ficus, MD
Dr. Ficus, MD, Pediatrician
Experience:  17 years in private practice in the U.S.

RA crb

Customer Question

Can Doxideral, Happy calm and focused be used for a 12 year old diagnosed with ADD in lieu of Vyvanse? thank you
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Ficus, MD replied 3 years ago.
Doxiderol is a nutritional supplement that claims to be effective in "boosting" the brain to improve function. Since supplements aren't required to be monitored or tested by the FDA to prove their claims there is no unbiased clinical data to support that it does what it says it does. It's unclear as to whether or not it is harmful in a growing child.
If your child's physician has diagnosed your son as being affected by ADHD it's likely best to use medications that are proven to improve those symptoms (like Vyvanse). Good nutrition and adequate sleep are also very important for cognitive health. While Vyvanse does not prove effective for every patient with ADHD it is a medication that has been proven to reduce ADHD symptoms in studied patients.
I hope that helps! Be sure to reply to me if I've left anything unanswered.