Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

Ive been off concerta for 2 months. I took 1 this morning

I've been off concerta for 2 months. I took 1 this morning again and have been feeling nauseous, severe headache and have pain and stiffness in my jaw and neck. I feel extremely irritated and get cold sweat at times. Is this normal. I do not take any other medicine.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I assume that you are taking this medication (also known as methylphenidate or Ritalin) for Adult ADHD, although it might be also prescribed for other disorders.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You perhaps did not feel the side effects before, but you are experiencing them now.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

The most common side effects of are nervousness, drowsiness and insomnia. Other adverse reactions include: Abdominal pain, restlessness, loss of hair, anger, chest pain, appetite loss, anxiety, blood pressure and pulse changes, cardiac arrhythmia, depression, sweating, dizziness, dyskinesia, happiness or sadness, headache, hypersensitivity, nausea, and other symtoms

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I strongly urge you to try a different medication. If you have adult ADHD then a better medication for you would be atomoxetine (Strattera).

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Is there any other way that I can help you?

Customer: I do agree and will see my doc. Must I sweat it out and for how long should it last. ?
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If it is a cause of the medicine it will fade away soon. Let me check the half-life of this medicine so that I can give you a better idea.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It has a very short half-life (four hours) which means it will be out of your system very quickly. It is possible you are getting what is known as "rebound effects" from reintroducing it into your system.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You should recover soon.

Customer: I honestly feel awe full......won't ever take concerta again. Can I take a tranquilliser to
Customer: tonight to sleep.......xanor?
Customer: My
Customer: iMy I thought
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Probably could. I would but I can't advise you to . If your doctor has given you Xanor for anxiety, then you should take it.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Normal dose according to his directions.

Customer: Thank you for your help!!!
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I shall keep you in my prayers. You will be fine and will stay of the Concerta, I would wager.

Customer: I honestly thought I've got meningitis.......never ever again concerta for me
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If the symptoms continue you could check for other causes, but it is probably a bad reaction to the Concerta.

Customer: The headaches are soooo bad. I don't wanna eat and can't even open my jaws properly.....all my muscles in my upper body feel soooo stiff.....
Customer: I appreciate your help soooo much.......the main purpose for using concerta was for addd
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It won't hurt to see an MD just in case.

Customer: butadded but my
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Remember Strattera for adult ADHD.

Customer: i took concerta this morning because my appetite has increased over the last couple of weeks and I can recall that concerta has reduced my appetite.....I will surely ask my psychiatrist to prescribe starters rather. Never thought that I would experience today such bad side effects
Customer: Apologies.....strattera in stead of starters
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You don't have to use it any more.

Customer: I even took 2 synods this afternoon but nothing has helped
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Strattera may be called something else in ZA. It is atomoxitine, generically.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I wish you great success.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :