Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

I need some advice on how to handle a situation I have with

I need some advice on how to handle a situation I have with my 21 year old son. He lives at home with me and my wife and he is going to college full time. He is introverted and spends the majority of the time playing video games, watching tv, on the computer, etc. He has some friends, but they are the same. My wife and I have been trying for years to tell him to join clubs in college, get out and do more.
He says yes, but then he does not do anything. We feel bad for him because we feel he is wasting his youth. We don't expect him to go out all the time, but at least to have some sort of social life. I don't know how we can help him.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 1 year ago.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that I can help.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Unfortunately, your son is normal. It is the "new normal" and it is unhealthy in many ways, but it is not an individual disorder, but rather a social disorder.

Customer:

Yes, I am starting to think about that. I just can't relate to it

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

He does have a social life of like-minded friends, you say, and so he is quite normal.

Customer:

Yes. but all they do is close themselves in a room and play video games/watch movies, little interaction with outside world

Customer:

Sometimes he may go to a sport game, once a month or so

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You were raised differently, but at a time when some of our society was becoming unraveled.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

He does have interaction with the outer world, but it is electronic. He is living in the world into which he was born.

Customer:

Yes, that is true. Thanks for your help.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I don't promote this, but in order to change him you have to live in a different culture or time, or like the Amish (who have no depression, did you know?)

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Your son is in college, presumably doing well.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that he will be fine.

Customer:

Yes, he is doing well, he is focused on his career, has 1 year to go

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Perhaps your family can go hiking or camping once in a while just to smell the flowers and breath the air.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

breathe

Customer:

yes, i invite him to go walking every week in a beach nearby, which we do

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I shall keep your family in my prayers. You are blessed with a good son, and your weekly walk's are a Godsend to all of you.

Customer:

Thanks

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You are so welcome. He will be fine !

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX peace

Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience: 35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.