Rafael M.T.Therapist
Rafael M.T.Therapist, Psychotherapist
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
65591635

Should I tell my therapist that I am becoming physically attracted

Should I tell my therapist that I am becoming emotionally and physically attracted to her or should I keep it to myself?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you. (Information posted here is not private or confidential but public).

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Please, do tell your therapist about it, otherwise the therapeutic relationship and its effectiveness would get deeply undermined by it. What you are experiencing is not abnormal, but it needs to be addressed in therapy in order for it to work. Remember that effective therapy requires total honesty and openness, and this situation could be a necessary experience for you to work on yourself with her professional support.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Again, it is normal to experience this in psychotherapy, but what is unhealthy is to keep it secret, allowing it to undermine your therapeutic relationship. Please tell her about it and she should know how to process it in your sessions.

Customer:

Okay. I just need to figure out how to bring it up and a good time during the session to do so. My attraction to her has been more gradual. I have been seeing her for 8 months. I am not obsessed with her anything like that but I am recently developing an emothional and physical attraction to her. the only thing that I am aprehensive about is that it may make feel uncomfortable. Or would it flatter her?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Her reaction would depend on her level of maturity and expertise, experience, competence and assertiveness as an individual and as a therapist.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

The same way as you share your feelings and thinking about any other personal experience in your life, you would tell her about it, for her to support you and work on it.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

As I said, this dynamic is not uncommon in therapy, and working on it should become an integral aspect of the therapeutic process.

Customer:

Thanks. I will try to tell her. I have had a hard time opening up to people even my therapist with personal and intimate feelings. But I will try. I think she is good ant therapy and hope that she is familiar with this type of thing. I just don't want to jeoprodize the progress we have made. Thanks

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I understand your concern, and want to say that for a person to become a therapist, she needs to know very well about these dynamics, ethics involved and how to adequately support clients leading to a therapeutic process from it. I support you and believe it would help you open up also with everything else important in your therapeutic process.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You're welcome.

Customer:

Thank You Rafael. Good Night.