Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's

My daughter was started on Zoloft for self harm and thoughts

Customer Question

My daughter was started on Zoloft for self harm and thoughts of suicide. Has been on 50mg for 3 weeks and doing better. Now she says she wants to die. Is this the medication? She is 12
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Bill replied 3 years ago.
Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

I am sorry to hear about this.

Anytime a child is experiencing Suicidal Ideation while taking Zoloft, the prescribing Doctor should be contacted-regardless of reason.

It is possible that the medication is causing this reaction:

As you will see in the following link related to Zoloft:

"Report any new or worsening symptoms to your doctor, such as: mood or behavior changes, anxiety, panic attacks, trouble sleeping, or if you feel impulsive, irritable, agitated, hostile, aggressive, restless, hyperactive (mentally or physically), more depressed, or have thoughts about suicide or hurting yourself.

I trust this will help and again encourage you to contact your daughters Doctor to report this issue.

If you have further questions for me, please feel free to ask- I am happy to help.

Kindest regards, Bill

I appreciate your Positive Rating so that I receive Credit for my time.

Thank you