Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.

Are there objective criteria for saying somebody has personality

Customer Question

Are there objective criteria for saying somebody has personality traits if his scores aren't in the clinical range for a diagnosable personality disorder?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 3 years ago.
Hi! You know, to give you the best answer, I think I should ask you a few questions first that will help define the problem and the situation.
When you write, "Are there objective criteria for saying somebody has personality traits", do you mean if there are legal definitions for someone who has features of personality disorders but not to the extent that he/she can be diagnosed as having the full disorder?
Or are you asking if there objective testing instruments like the MMPI that can be used to diagnose someone as having features of personality disorders?
Any extra information that will help, feel free to share.
I see you're offline; I'm going to be going to be logging off for the night soon, so if I can't answer before that, would later today be okay for me to respond?
Dr. Mark