Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
48585111

I am wondering if people who are bipolar and have alzheimers

I am wondering if people who are bipolar and have alzheimers aren't able to take the same meds that a normal person would because they are bipolar? Its that my father in-law has alzheimers. He was placed in a home to be cared for because his 86yr. old wife could no longer do so. The home where he was placed informed the family they could not keep him there because he has behavioral problems. During the night he is awake, calls out for his parents in a loud voice and wants to get out of bed. Disrupts the other patient. The neurologist had told them some time ago that he would need to be in a psychiatric hospital. My sister in-law was asked by the hospice counselor if he was bipolar and she said he was never diagnosed so she didn't know. While at this home they have given him medicines to help him sleep but none have worked. Two nights ago he was able to sleep 4 hrs. straight.

Bill :

Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

Bill :

I am sorry to hear about this issue.

Bill :

If your father in law had BiPolar illness- it would have been diagnosed much earlier in his life.

Bill :

Many patients with Alzheimer's Disease can and do exhibit symptoms that would others non experts to ask the question about BiPolar but unless there is a history of this - it is not likely that he has a BiPolar condition.

Bill :

If your father in law is in a facility that cannot manage him -the social workers, treatment team an doctors have an obligation to find an appropriate alternative for him

Bill :

If he has Alzheimers, there are facilities that specialize in the management of this type of care.

Customer:

they had fould a nurshing home run by some nuns, but because he has behavorial issues no nursing home will take him. That is what my mother in law as told. They other alternative is to return him home and hire help to care for him.

Bill :

Why is he on pain medication?

Customer:

Since non of the meds that he was given to help him sleep worked, I don't know why he wasn't given morphine:

Bill :

It does not seem that he is receiving proper medical management here. If you can give me the name of the facility where is currently being cared for and the Zip Code in which he lives- will help me to help you identify some resources that can help.

Customer:

he is on phenobarbital

Bill :

This is an anti-convulsant medication that would prevent seizures- if he has a history of same or had a stroke.

Customer:

don't know the facility, but the zip code 78237

Bill :

This is San Antonio Texas area?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

yes San Antonio, Texas

Bill :

Okay great-

Bill :

The following link is f San Antonio Chapter of the Alzheimers Association

Bill :

Get in contact with them and explain this situation. They provide all types of advocacy services to help with these types of situations.

Bill :

They also assist with placing a person in the best possible settings whether at home or a facility where he is going to get proper care.

Bill :

You will also see the other resources available on the at the web-link

Bill :

The National Associations website follows and has protocol for proper care for a person with Alzheimers. I think you will see very quickly that he is not getting it.

Customer:

well thank you for all your help.

Bill :

You are most welcome- Reach out to these resources and they will continue to help you and your family.

Bill :

Kindest regards,.

Bill :

Bill

Bill :

I appreciate your Positive Rating so that I receive credit for my time.

Bill :

Thank you