Dr. L
Dr. L, Psychologist
Experience:  Psychologist, Marriage and Family Therapist
63993671

As the deadline comes closer I am loosing interest

Helo Doctor I am 30 year old student.

I am having problem in studying.

As the deadline comes closer I am loosing interest to do the coursework. In case if the deadline is extended I get lot of interest to do the work.

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. L replied 1 year ago.

Dr. L :

Dr. L :

I would like to help you with your question.

Dr. L :

This is a very common problem for students. There are lots of reasons this happens and I would like to explore these with you.

Dr. L :

Would you provide me with a little more information please? Tell me how long you have been in school and what degree you are working towards. Is the coursework easy for you or difficult?

Dr. L :

Is the subject something you enjoy or something that bores you?

Dr. L :

Are you eager to finish school and begin a career?

Dr. L :

Do you approach other tasks in life the same way...that is, procrastinate until you must do it?

Dr. L :

I see you are typing...I will wait for your response.

Dr. L :

Thank you.

Customer:

I am continuously studying from my childhood. I never worked. I am currently doing my 3rd Master degree. I failed to complete my first two master degrees. My first two master degree where mathematical based so I always needed some to help me. But the third Master degree in purely theory based. So do not need any others help and also I have lot of interest in the studies. In the class whenever a group work was given I will be the first person to complete. If somebody comes to me and ask to help them in their coursework I can but I am not able to do my coursework even though I know the best answer. If I have time I have interest to do the coursework but as the time comes closer I am loosing the interest. This conditon exist only for studies that when the deadline comes closer or else I am normal.

Customer:

If now somebody approaches to me for help to do the same coursework I am very much interested to finish their coursework. But I am loosing the interest when it comes to my coursework.

Dr. L :

Thanks for the additional information.

Customer:

Question: Are you eager to finish school and begin a career?

Dr. L :

My first advice is to stop helping others. When you use your energy to help others...then you may not be having enough energy for your own work.

Customer:

Question:Are you eager to finish school and begin a career? Answer: Yes I am very eager to finish school and begin my career

Dr. L :

Your obligation is to YOU. And you cannot spread yourself so thin. What I would say is...if you have finished the work before the deadline...then maybe you can help someone else. But you must take care of your obligations first.

Dr. L :

Another important part here is that you have been in schooling FOREVER...and by this time you might be a bit tired of the whole process. So that is another reason to keep your focus on finishing and not wasting time helping others.

Dr. L :

There is one major issue that I see. You started and did not finish two earlier Master's Degrees. That fact alone may be dragging you down. Let me explain,

Dr. L :

In your mind you may be saying to yourself...I have a history of not finishing degrees...so no matter how hard I try or how hard I work...there is no way I will finish this one either. And so you let things distract you and you procrastinate. We call this a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Dr. L :

I encourage you to think about this...to think about the "roadblocks" that you are putting in the way of finishing and completing this degree.

Dr. L :

Your #1 goal here MUST be to finish. And...you need the confidence that says...the past is the past...I WILL FINISH THIS DEGREE. You must change any negative words in your head to positive ones...

Dr. L :

Do you understand what I am saying?

Customer:

Yes Doctor.

Dr. L :

What do you think of what I wrote...do you think that a self-fulfilling prophecy may be operating here?

Customer:

Doctor can you please wait, So that I can type still more

Dr. L :

yes...that would be fine.

Dr. L :

We have a bit more time.

Customer:

Doctor before I type I will ask you a question. Have you seen the comedy movie Johnny English Reborn

Dr. L :

No I have not seen that movie. Sorry

Dr. L :

I am sorry but I have only a few more minutes before I must leave.

Dr. L :

Feel free to continue writing. I will respond back later today.

Customer:

Ok Doctor in that movie the hero's drink will be spiked using the chemical Timoxeline Barbebutenol. This chemical controls the brain (according to the movie) and the hero will do what ever the villan says because of the chemical effect. But then and there he will get conscious. The villain would have ordered the hero to shoot a VIP. The hero's one hand will try to shoot the VIP while another hand stopping him from doing so. This want happens to me. I have interest to the coursework once I start to work immediately something stops me to do the work. Now I did lot of meditation and had good mood. Once I started doing the coursework I will be stopped. I know that I can finish the work in half a day but still I am not having mood to complete

Dr. L :

This is very interesting.

Dr. L :

I would encourage you to see a psychologist to help you work through this "mind block". It is your own thinking, fears, apprehensions about the future that appear to be blocking you from completing the work.

Customer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqbZyWbLxsQ

Dr. L :

thanks...I will watch it as it sounds very fascinating...

Customer:

Thanks doctor .

Dr. L :

I like the fact that you attempt to clear your mind through mediation before you sit down to complete the work...but there is something holding you back..and that something is you.

Customer:

Exactly doctor

Dr. L :

Maybe you are truly worried about what it will be like to be out in the world working...after all you have spent all your life studying. All of that emphasis on studying has "habituated" you to education...that is, it is all you know.

Dr. L :

And it is the habit of your daily life.

Dr. L :

So...you need some support and confidence building to see yourself as something other than a student.

Dr. L :

Would seeing a psychologist be something you would be willing to do?

Customer:

Yes I will see a psychologist very soon

Customer:

Thanks for the advice doctor

Dr. L :

You are very welcome!

Dr. L :

I will say goodbye now!

Dr. L :

Take care. And good luck!

Customer:

Good bye Doctor

Dr. L :

Thank you for being open to my help.

Dr. L, Psychologist
Experience: Psychologist, Marriage and Family Therapist