psychlady
psychlady, Therapist
Experience:  Psychotherapist specializing in the treatment of a variety of mental health issues.

How to overcome online addictions?

How to overcome online addictions?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  psychlady replied 1 year ago.
Online addictions are similar to drug addictions. You first have to sincerely XXXXX XXXXX Most addictions are overcome by the sheer willingness to change. This has to be a firm commitment. Then you have to remove the stimulus. If you can't have alcohol (for instance) in the house then you can't have the object feeding that addiction. If this is a computer than you shouldn't have one. You can't kid yourself into believing that you can stop this with the computer in your home. Next use self help or some sort of intervention to learn why you are addicted and bond with others with the same problem. If you feel too self conscious to find others with this issue then educate yourself about this. There are mountains of information about this addiction. If you think that you need to see a therapist locate one in your area. A major indicator of whether this is an addiction is whether you have control over it. If you feel it taking up more and more of your time at the expense of other things then an intervention is suggested. There are actually professionals now who specialize in this problem. You can find a therapist by logging onto the American Counseling Association. Above all else don't give up. You are your own best judge of whether you can do this alone. Be positive and reach out as you did here. Find other people in your area that are struggling with this and/or a therapist specializing in this problem. The key component to change is the desire to change
psychlady, Therapist
Experience: Psychotherapist specializing in the treatment of a variety of mental health issues.