Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

can a person who is a sociopath OKMH0131211

can a person who is a sociopath have some type of meltdown or psychotic break if they feel as if things are not happening the way they want them to?

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

A person who is a sociopath could have a meltdown if they do not get their way. Most likely what you are looking at is a manipulation to get you to comply with what they want. It may be that they tried everything else, but it didn't work so they tried to act out to see if it would get them what they wanted.

A psychotic break is when a person experiences hallucinations or delusions and most sociopaths do not have these types of symptoms. Sociopaths are people who lack the emotions necessary to relate to others. They do not understand that others experience a range of emotions. A psychotic break on the other hand is more related to illnesses such as Schizophrenia or less commonly depression.

A person who is sociopathic may exhibit signs of violence, but most of the time these are well thought out scenarios rather than because the person lost control.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The reason I am asking is that my daughters exboyfriend and her are in the middle of a custody case over their 3 children. It is still in the courts and there has been no final decision yet. He is not a diagnosed sociopath but has nearly every symptom. He has tried several tactics to make my daughter look like a bad mom to the court. every one has backfired on him due to everything he stated was lies. He has not gotten anything he has wanted. He has visitation every other weekend and I am concerned the more times he tries to do something to make my daughter look bad, he thinks he will get custody of the kids. Each lie he has told has not gotten him custody. He continues to lie to court psychologist that is the one evaluating both parent to determine custody. Psychologist knows he is lying. I am worried that the more times his plan backfires and he is told no that he may have some type of meltdown. I am worried about how this may end. If he will take his anger out on my daughter, or if he will self destruct. He has a violent past and I am worried he will end up doing something bad real soon.

I understand your concern. Although there is no way to predict someone's behavior with any certainty, you can take some steps to try to address your concerns.

Mention how you feel to the psychologist, or have your daughter do it. That way, the psychologist can assess him with a new perspective to see if there are any warning signs.

If you can, mention your concerns to the attorney involved. See if there are any legal angles to address your concerns.

Also, speak to the police. Even if you just ask for some direction, you will have expressed your concerns. Best case scenario is that they right up a report. But even if they don't, you will have covered all possible bases for advice and for informing everyone of your concerns.

Contact a domestic abuse hotline to ask for input and advice. They are the best at assessing situations. Although they cannot tell you what he might do, they can help offer support and ideas on what to look for with his behavior.

Most of all, be there for your daughter. Dealing with someone like your daughter's ex boyfriend is extremely stressful. She needs as much support as possible.

Kate
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.