Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
48585111

my son has selective mutism and i have tried to get school

my son has selective mutism and i have tried to get school to understand this and that he doesn't talk to his school friends and teachers, really need some advice on the best way forward to help my son with his education, doctors etc thank you i also took my son up to see a consultant at great ormond street in london and he said he has some multi sensory processing difficulties and that he is choosing to not speak to others and refusing to use the toilet!! it's so hard to know what to do for the best i considered home schooling but that would ideally like for my son to stay in mainstream and mix with children his own age. Thank you

Bill :

Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

Bill :

I am happy to help with this,.

Bill :

I have worked with children with your sons types of problems for over 30 years.,

Bill :

In the UK - you need to be in touch with the National Society on Autism (Link follows) and explain to them the problems your son is having in terms of receiving appropriate accommodations in school.

Bill :

As you will see:

Bill :

"Children and young people with autism and Asperger syndrome are entitled to extra help in early years settings, school, college and university – as well as at times of transition, when they move from one education setting to another."

Bill :

This is protection under the law but you have to advocate it and the society will help you and advise on best strategies to use in making sure the school is complying with the law and meeting your sons needs. This is a situation that schools try to avoid and why you have to insist that they take necessary steps to help.

Bill :

More detail on services that the school should be helping with is here:

Bill :

I trust these resources will help you help your son and wish all of you the very best.

Bill :

Kindest regards,

Bill :

Bill

Bill :

I appreciate your Positive Rating so that I receive credit for my time.

Bill :

Thank you