Coach Jen K.
Coach Jen K., LMSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Master Social Worker. Certified Life Coach
64783947

My son went to the police academy a couple of years ago and

My son went to the police academy a couple of years ago and had a bad experience during a running exercise. He passed out, fell down a couple of stairs when someone caught him. He couldn't breath and was shaking all over. As a result he dropped out of the academy. This last summer, he got a job as a park ranger and now has to attend the park ranger academy which today was his first day. He is an emotional wreck - I think because of what happened to him during the police academy. I know this is nothing like the police academy, but he just can't seem to pull himself together. This is a requirement to keep his job and I don't know how to help him. I have reassured him, told him to believe in himself, told him to pray, advised him to do deep breathing exercises. He breaks down when I talk with him and I don't know how to advise him. Would you please help me help him.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Coach Jen K. replied 1 year ago.

CoachJenK :

Welcome back.

CoachJenK :

It sounds like he is having a stress reaction to what transpired during the police academy.

CoachJenK :

His anxiety seems quite high and he could benefit from talking to someone about it. I love the idea of prayer but I think he may need a bit more support from a psychologist or social worker.

Customer:

I'm sorry. Thanks Jen-I couldn't figure out where to type. I think that is the problem. Can he connect with you? He is at the academy all week long and I don't know how to get him to talk with someone.

CoachJenK :

of course he can. You know how to request me.

CoachJenK :

There is no shame in getting some extra support.

Customer:

In thinking about this, he didn't know if he could take his computer to the academy, so he doesn't have it with him right now. Is there anything I can tell him until he can get his computer and contact you?

CoachJenK :

That you understand how he might be feeling and it can be a reaction to what took place at the academy and he may be having some anxiety due to it all. Let him know it is okay and he deerves to feel better and he can with some help.

Customer:

I already told him what you said above. Do you have any other suggestions just to get him through the next couple of days?

CoachJenK :

Here is a wonderful download a well. It is a self hypnosis CD for these kinds of stress reactions. You can find it here for him. http://www.stevegjones.com/overcomePTSDhypnotherapycdmp3.htm

CoachJenK :

Yes have him begin to listen to the above link. It can be quite calming for him.

Customer:

Is it hypnosis?

CoachJenK :

self hypnosis...relaxation and calming. It is wonderful.

Customer:

Will that link be in my email?

CoachJenK :

yes once we are done you will get this full transcript.

Customer:

Thank you. Also, can you help him if he contacts you?

CoachJenK :

i will speak with him of course and hear what is going on and make the appropriate suggestions.

Customer:

Thank you. How does he request you?

CoachJenK :

he comes to the site and when he writes his question he needs to put for CoachJenK only at the start of it and it will come to me.

Customer:

OK. Thank you so much. He is the most wonderful person and my heart is breaking to see him like this. I know his job depends on passing this academy so that may be part of it, too.

CoachJenK :

Like I said to you last time.....YOU are a wonderful parent.

CoachJenK :

I am here for both of you.

Customer:

Thank you so much. I believe you are our lifeline at the moment. Thank you.

CoachJenK :

my pleasure.

CoachJenK :

as always

Customer:

Thank you. I will make sure he gets the link you sent as well as your contact information. God Bless.

CoachJenK :

God bless you and your wonderful Son.

Customer:

Thank you.

CoachJenK :

good night.

Coach Jen K., LMSW, CPC
Experience: Licensed Master Social Worker. Certified Life Coach
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear XXXXX:

I went to that website, and it gives some samples, but I know he will not be real receptive to the self hypnosis. Could you offer me something else to help him please.

Sincerely,

Nancy

Until he can seek professional support, I would still recommend that he visit the link to listen to the calming techniques of Steve G Jones. Here is another resource for you as well to learn some grounding techniques when the anxiety is so high. http://www.amazon.com/PTSD-Workbook-Effective-Techniques-Overcoming/dp/1572242825/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1359463037&sr=1-1&keywords=ptsd

But, I cannot overstate the importance of him seeking in person professional help so that he can feel better and get the support that is needed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, Jen. Do I pay again? It was still a continue of my question. I wasn't sure how that worked.

I am just so worried. I talked to him from 2:00 - 5:30 this morning.

He broke out in sweats in the night. I am so sad for him.

Thank you so much for the additional link.

Sincerely,

Nancy

It is always up to you when to pay, and I appreciated it yesterday.
He is suffering so and truly needs to see someone face to face. Keep supporting him as you have been until he can get the help but I know that if he could listen to the CD he could get some comfort in the meantime.
Coach Jen K., LMSW, CPC