Ryan LCSW, Mental Health
Experience:  Individual and Family Therapist

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX been on here before and found it extremely helpful and I would

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX been on here before and found it extremely helpful and I would very much like and need some help and advice again.Last year I was diagnosed with the illness Anoxeria . I had been off of work for six months because of my health and returned on a part time basis in November.I have never been off this long before and even though I am very much enjoying being back I am finding it very hard both physically and even more emotionally. I have lost my confidence and end up crying everyday.
I am seeing my doctor on a regular basis to keep an eye on my weight and have a chat about things which I find very comforting and need their support.
The doctor that I had for those past seven months during the beginning of my illness since last March has now left the practice. I knew about this in October when she informed me and introduced me to her collegue who is now taking care of me . I found this extremely hard to let go as I must admit I did bond with her as she was alw
Hi Rachel, thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd like to help you out, however, it seems like your question was cut off at the end. I want to make sure I have all of the information necessary to give you a proper response, so please let me know if there is anything else you'd like to add, and we'll be in touch shortly. Thanks,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Ryan sorry I did seem to run out of space. There is a lot more of this if this is ok.Yes I did bond with her and felt as if she was always there for me. I am very happy with my current doctor and i now feel as if I have bonded with him also. I don't know if this is a good or bad thing. At Christmas I did another nice thing and gave him a gift also just to say thankyou and that I appreciate every that he has done for me so far .

Over the weekend I ended up getting a bit upset and drunk a little too much with a friend. I ended up doing something stupid. We went on the social network facebook and were looking up people just for fun. By a silly mistake and that was all it was I ended up sending a friend request to my current doctor. I know and understand very well about a patient and doctor relationship and delected it straight away. I meant no harm at all . I am now very scared that he is going to think that I am stalking him also and have some kind of fixation with them. I am also very scared that he may not want to or feel he can't treat me any more. I will not beable to cope at all if this did happen. He may not of seen the reuqest but then again he may of done.I am seeing him soon. What can I say about this ? I would like to apologise that it was a silly thing at a crazy moment and that I am deeply sorry. Also I would like some medication to help me with my emotionally state as I feel I can't go on like this . Can I ask him not to ditch me ? I really need his support still whilst I am still trying to increase my hours at work. What would he say and what about if I mention it but he didn't see the request. I am a very generous person and I am feeling very fragile and sensitive at the moment.Please could you help me. Thankyou

Hi Rachel, I apologize for the delay in my response. While I can definitely understand and respect your concern for crossing boundaries, I would be very surprised if your actions caused your doctor to stop working with you or treat you any differently than he ever has. Most likely this is not the first time someone has attempted to friend him on facebook, and since you immediately deleted that, that seems to demonstrate that you aware of the boundaries rather than you are attempting to violate them. You can certainly apologize if you feel the need to, but I wouldn't otherwise think that it's necessary to even raise the subject unless he does.

It would be very different if you started sending personal messages to him, or persisted in trying to contact him outside of a professional environment. Most doctors are aware that many of their clients do not even understand patient/doctor relationship, and run into far worse situations than this. Most times they are able to discuss this with their patient, and continue the professional relationship without any problems.

It's good to hear that you've been able to go back to work with the support of your doctor. You've obviously made a lot of progress. However, if you've lost your confidence and find yourself so emotional it may certainly be worth your while to discuss a medication to help you cope in the short term. Overall though, I wouldn't let this recent facebook incident add to your anxiety level. If you need to clarify that with him and ask him not to ditch you for your own peace of mind that is understandable. Otherwise, it is something that many doctors have experienced at one point or another, and should not affect your ability to work together.

I definitely wish you the best with all of this, and if there's anything else I can do to help please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thankyou so much . Can I ask does he have the right to stop treating me because of this ? Should I stop worrying about the gift card that I sent to my previous doctor as I can't do anything about it ?

Hi Rachel,

Doctors have a right to stop treating someone if they are made to feel uncomfortable, but I would truly be surprised if that occurred here, considering most doctors have dealt with far worse boundary crossings. Most likely if he feels that boundaries were crossed, he would discuss the situation with you, and treatment would continue as normal. The facebook situation seems fairly minimal and harmless compared to other boundary problems doctors run into with their patients, so it may not even be mentioned at all especially since you deleted it. As far as the gift card goes, it seems like at this point you can't do anything about it, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. It seems that if your doctor really considered that to be a problem or inappropriate, it most likely would have been mentioned by now. All the best,