Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

Diagnosed with OCD recently however I am worried a report I

Diagnosed with OCD recently however I am worried a report I prepared for the psychiatrist may have included incorrect information. I am afraid this would invalidate the diagnosis. I am afraid to follow my therapists advice in case I am doing something wrong even though she is happy with the dx and I have been seeing her nearly a year. My mind won't rest on this and it is frustrating me immensely, ruining my life and I'm just so scared. I'm just terrified I'm doing the wrong thing and have misled the doctor. I tried to address this in the interview and he said he had only scanned the report and he was basing his dx on our conversation and his quick scan if the report. He told me to content myself and move on. Is that okay?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like everything is fine. If your therapist agrees with the diagnosis and she has seen you for over a year, then most likely the psychiatrist would only follow her recommendation as well. Therapists should be well trained in diagnosis and will know if they are seeing symptoms that do not match the diagnosis. Many also do evaluations, so they know what to look for and how to note any concerns that do not makes sense. Plus it is likely that your therapist and psychiatrist consult in some form or another, so that also gives you another bit of assurance that all is ok.

If you do have any doubts, you can always get a second opinion from another psychiatrist. Just as you would with a medical doctor's diagnosis, you are allowed to see someone else just to confirm your diagnosis and to put your mind at ease. But from what you have told me, it sounds like everything is fine.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi thank you. I live in a small town in NI so seeing another psych not really feasible. My GP says as far as she is concerned I have it and my therapist who has a Masters in CBT is more than happy. I seem to have fixated on it and am having difficulty letting it go. What would u do?

I understand. Living in a small town can limit your choices. But if your therapist is happy with the diagnosis, then I would focus on that aspect.

There are many things you can do to help yourself cope with these thoughts and compulsions. The trick is trying many things to find what works for you.

OCD thoughts can be handled through a variety of ways:

Learn to relax- this helps a lot because one of the main issues with OCD thoughts and compulsions is the anxiety you experience with them, triggering the urge to act out. So learning how to keep calm when dealing with these thoughts can help. Here is a link to help you learn Progressive Relaxation, one of the best ways to control your anxiety:

http://www.guidetopsychology.com/pmr.htm

Write down your thoughts- by keeping a journal so you have a place to express your thoughts when they do bother you. It can also help to go back and see your progress or look at repeating patterns and how you handled them.

Make a list of activities- things you can do to distract yourself when you do experience OCD thoughts. Exercise, calling someone or watching a movie for example.

Give yourself a break- realize that OCD is caused by physical imbalances in the brain as well as anxiety. So telling yourself things like "This is just a physical response and it is not my fault" or "I can control this any way I want" and doing another activity instead of giving in helps as well.

Do not give your obsession meaning- The more you focus on it, the more importance you give it. So treat it like it's nothing. "It's only my thoughts. It does not mean anything".

Cognitive behavior therapy, which your therapist practices, can help a lot as well. It assists you in "retraining" your brain to think other thoughts and calming yourself so you don't feel the need to respond to the thoughts as much.

Read as much as you can about OCD and how to address it. The more you educate yourself, the better chance you will find things you can do to help yourself.

Kate

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.