Jean
Jean, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Masters degree in counseling, Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)
66147936

I am 33 and had a child almost 9 month ago. It took me long

I am 33 and had a child almost 9 month ago. It took me long 4 years to have my child. During these years I had multiple surgeries and miscarriages. I had a huge anxiety through my entire pregnancy. I keep waiting for something bad to happen. When my child was 6 weeks also I had a horrible dream about me putting blanket over his face and him suffocating. Since them I keep having scary thought about my child. I am afraid that I will do something wrong. I keep getting these thoughts that I am touching him wrong, that he drowns in bathtub, that he is suffocating. I am seeing pshychologist and on the med and it got much better but it still there. I wonder when it will be over and I can free enjoy my life with my child.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Jean replied 1 year ago.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Hello, I can assist you.

Customer:

Hi

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Congratulations on your baby- getting big I bet.

Customer:

Yes he is the best which happen to me in life. He is almost 18 pounds now.

Customer:

So smart and everybody love him.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

It's an exciting time, being a mom- trying so hard to have him. Are you diagnosed with Postpartum Depression?

Customer:

Well I thought I had that but my doctor said that it just postpartum anxiety.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

What you describe is common after a pregnancy- especially the challenges you had having him.

Customer:

I just don't understand how can I have these thought of harming him if I love him so much. I feel so guilty. Like I am a worst person in the world and don't deserve such a wonderful child like him.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

It does get better- know it's part of the pregnancy- postpartum. It does take time and sometimes trial and error on meds. Your thoughts do not mean actions- assure yourself of that- it is scarey isn't it?

Jean N/20pluscounts :

It's not you his mother thinking this- it's chemical- hormonal etc.

Customer:

Yes it very scary. It got better. At the beginning I though I should commite myself and I felt like my skin was on fire.

Customer:

But still it so painful. It like it blocking my true connection to my child. I mean he loves me and I love him more when anything but I keep checking myself to make sure that I didn't do anything wrong and keep asking for reasurance from others about that as well.

Customer:

I know it sounds crazy and I understand that with my mind but not with my thougths.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

You love him and will protect him, I'm sure of that. It's just thoughts- but scary yes. Yes- a physical response too- It got better and it will continue to get better with the treatment and support you are getting. This tends to take time- sort of has to run it's course from what I have experienced treating women. Remind yourself it's the "anxiety" talking not you his loving mother.

Customer:

But it been 9 months. I though by now all the chemicals will be out of my blood. How long dose it usually last?

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Seek out as much reassure you can. Find ways to relax- something physical, deep breathing, find something to get your mind off of this-

Jean N/20pluscounts :

It seems like just when you think you can not take much more- it begins to ease- no specific time table. If you continue to work with your doctor- it will get better. Are you also in counseling- that can help too.

Customer:

My doctor seems me once every two weeks and that it.

Customer:

But I have a support of my family as well.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Remind yourself you are doing the best you can with what is happening- It can feel like it is out of your control- but support is good- that will help you-

Jean N/20pluscounts :

When you hear those things in your head- again- remind yourself "there's that anxiety again" It can be triggered by fear- the challenge getting pregnant and all.

Customer:

Thank you very much for your help.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Finding ways to relax- deep breathing, progressive relaxation. You tube has some excellent guided relaxation videos. Nice music, soothing scenery.

Customer:

I will. Thank you for your advice.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

You are welcome- you will get through this- you are very motivated by the love for your baby.

Jean, Psychotherapist
Experience: Masters degree in counseling, Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)