Dr. L
Dr. L, Psychologist
Experience:  Psychologist, Marriage and Family Therapist

Why do I feel like I am in pain? Why cant I smile or even

Why do I feel like I am in pain? Why can't I smile or even get out of bed??
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. L replied 1 year ago.

Dr. L :

Dr. L :

I would like to help you with your question.

Dr. L :

Can you tell me a little more about what is going on?

Dr. L :

Are you in physical pain? If so...where does it hurt?

Dr. L :

If it is psychological pain...tell me more about this..how long it has lasted...if this has happened in the past...

Dr. L :

How long have you been in bed? For hours or days or longer...

Dr. L :

Have you been eating? keeping your fluids up?

Dr. L :

Thank you for providing me with more information so I can help understand what has happened.

Customer:

I have been dealing with depression for as long as I can remember. For the past two years, I’ve been taking Prestiq 50mg once daily and I thought it was helping. To give you a brief medical history, in 2002 I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer and had a total hysterectomy followed by chemo and radiation. I have been cancer free since but my husband and family noticed a drastic change in me after the surgery. I have not been the same since. In 2009 I was diagnosed with a very rare, terminal lung disease, LAM, or lymphangioleiomyomatosis. Due to LAM I cannot receive HRT b/c it is believed to speed up the disease. Also, in 2009 I underwent several major lung surgeries that required heavy opiates after. Just recently, January 3rd to be exact, I decided I no longer needed the heavy narcotics and with the help of a blood pressure medication, Colodine, prescribed by my pulmonary physician, I was able to stop the use of lortab and oxycontin. I thought I would feel better. I thought my energy level would increase. I thought my depression would subside. That has not been the case. I am rapidly becoming more depressed. I can’t get out of bed. I can’t remember the last time I smiled, laughed, walk the dogs, went shopping or found joy in anything. My husband says I look like I am in constant pain. I cry, a lot and often for no apparent reason. I am completely and utterly hopeless. I am not suicidal but I have attempted suicide twice in my early 20's. I don’t know what, if anything can be done. How can I get help when I can’t even get out of bed to shower? I can sleep for 17 hours straight. As long as I am served meals in bed, I can eat. I don’t want to be around anyone for any reason. I just don’t know what to do or how to do it. I have been in bed for 5 days now...

Customer:

As for the pain, I guess the best way to gescribe it would be more of a heavy feeling. It's hard to move. I feel very sad.

Dr. L :

Dr. L :

Please give me a minute or two to read through your reply and post an response.

Dr. L :

Thank you.

Customer:

ok

Dr. L :

Have you ever worked with a psychologist?

Dr. L :

Meaning..individual therapy?

Customer:

Yes on and off over the years

Dr. L :

Has it been of any value at all?

Customer:

I mean, just the talking...

Customer:

I guess but I'm not angry, I'm not sad due to health issues.

Dr. L :

I understand...my question about its impact is to see if you got any psychological relief from working with a therapist to address the many medical issues and the depression.

Dr. L :

Would you say you feel traumatized by your many illnesses...surgeries...courses of treatment...

Customer:

I've been depressed for as long as I can remember. I know after cancer, I became more depressed. What's happening now has to be in my head, so to speak b/c all of my doctors say there is no reason for me to feel like this. It must be a chemical imblance

Customer:

I've come to terms with my medical issues.

Dr. L :

Okay...if it is a chemical imbalance that the best treatment is a combination of anti-depressant medication and individual therapy.

Dr. L :

*then

Dr. L :

When you write: I've come to terms with my medical issues...what do you mean?

Customer:

I'm not sad about only having a short time left. Most people don't know when they will die, I do. pI just want to not be sad, not feel like I have weights on my arms and legs. I want to be able to laugh again

Dr. L :

The depression may be from changes in chemical levels in your body...and that may or may not be connected to the various medications you have taken because of the illnesses you have battled...but it may also be a chemical imbalance associated with depression.

Dr. L :

I understand that you have come to accept the reality of your life. That is wonderful. Still...it seems to me that you are depressed about being sad, feeling these weights on your body, not being able to laugh...

Dr. L :

Do you see my point?

Customer:

Yes, I see

Dr. L :

You want to be happy. You want to have a free feeling body. You want to smile and laugh and feel joy.

Dr. L :

Knowing that you don't feel those things...is in and of itself depressing.

Dr. L :

With a chemical imbalance...there is no way to will yourself to be happy, to laugh, to feel joy...the imbalance prevents that from happening.

Dr. L :

So this is the roll of medication and therapy.

Dr. L :

*role

Dr. L :

One therapy I would like you to consider and read about is EMDR. This is a short-term therapy based on rem sleep. Please see www.emdr.com

Dr. L :

EMDR stands for Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing.

Customer:

I've been through this process so many times; go in for visits, lots of talking, over and over again starting with childhood, then on to the medical issues then on to prescriptions that may or may not help. The process is grueling and depressing. And feeling so bad, it's hard to even set up an appointment. It's just so blah...

Dr. L :

So you have had EMDR?

Dr. L :

And it didn't have an impact on you?

Dr. L :

Is that right?

Customer:

Oh no, I've never heard of EMDR. I was talking about the usual shrink thing

Dr. L :

This is very, very different.

Dr. L :

EMDR is the number 1 therapy for trauma.

Customer:

Ok, I'll look it up

Dr. L :

This is NOT talk therapy. And yes...I can understand the blah blah of talking and talking and talking.

Dr. L :

EMDR is brief therapy.

Customer:

I like brief

Dr. L :

Yes...and this is not about talking and emoting and all of that.

Dr. L :

I can only imagine that you have had your fill of the traditional recipe!

Customer:

I appreciate your time and imput. I'm going to Google EMDR now. My name isXXXXX and it was very nice talking to you. Thanks again

Dr. L :

Hi Brandy!

Dr. L :

Yes, please take a look at the website. They also provide the names of therapist by city so that you can find someone who is trained in EMDR where you live. There are several levels of training...seek a therapist with the highest level of training and the highest academic degree that means a Ph.D. Also, when you find someone you think might be a good choice for you...call them on the phone, explain what you are looking for and ask how long they have done EMDR. Also ask them to tell you if they have any experience with clients like you who have had long standing depression and a bucket full of medical issues. You want to find someone you can trust! That is the key to EMDR.

Dr. L :

Since you have limited energy...don't waste your time meeting someone who you feel unsure of after talking to them on the phone. Most therapists these days have websites. Ask for that information so you can read up on them in advance.

Dr. L :

Remember...you are buying a product!!!

Dr. L :

Is that helpful?

Customer:

I'm reading about it now and yes, everything you've said has been very helpful.

Dr. L :

Very good.

Dr. L :

I'm so glad I could help you tonight Brandy!

Dr. L :

Please let me know if I can be of any help to you in the future.

Dr. L :

Take care!

Customer:

Thank you. Good night :-)

Dr. L :

Good night to you as well!

Dr. L, Psychologist
Experience: Psychologist, Marriage and Family Therapist