Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
48585111

What is the fastest way to get a psychiatric evaluation? I

What is the fastest way to get a psychiatric evaluation? I do have good insurance coverage. I have suffered from terrible migraines since childhood and more recently severe neck pain. I suffered a moderate/severe concussion at work in June 2012 and ended up having to miss about 6 weeks of work because of severe post-concussive symptoms (visual and motor impairment, foggy thinking, difficulty communicating, very emotional, horrible memory). I am currently being treated by a neurologist, a chiropractor, and a physical therapist. This is where it gets interesting. I have always had some level of anxiety +/- depression throughout my life but usually require little treatment beyond a daily Xanax. Since June, I feel that my emotions have never really stabilized. I have sudden outbursts of rage and anger, crying, and terrible anxiety. My depression is just skyrocketing, including suicidal thoughts (not like I want to do it, but just that it is a possibility) and a complete lack of hope and motivation. My neurologist refuses to refer me for an MRI despite my requests to check for any damage from the aforementioned head injury (I would like to know everything looks ok, especially since my recent neck pain turned out to be very justified after X-rays were finally done) and has told me to find a psychiatrist in the next 7 days after prescribing me 50mg Zoloft SID on top of the 1mg Xanax BID, 25mg Elavil SID PM, 2mg Diazepam PRN, 500mg Vicodin QID PRN I have currently been on. It has been impossible to find a psychiatrist in this area who has availability within the next month let alone the next week. I really feel like I need help soon for my own sanity, but I don't think I'm an actual danger to myself and worthy of the ER. What can I do to be seen quickly? What are my options in the DC area? I would like someone in mental health managing my medications in addition to providing therapy. I have not been able to work due to my neck pain and escalating issues for over a week at this point, and I really just need to see someone who can help me figure out exactly what I'm dealing with. Please help!

Bill :

Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

Bill :

I am happy to help you with this.

Bill :

I am sorry to hear about your distress.

Bill :

IF I were you, based on what you have written, I would contact the Johns Hopkins Outpatient Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Services for comprehensive evaluation and treatment.

Bill :

Johns Hopkins is one of the Top treatment Centers in the Country and in calling the number at the link above- you can secure an appointment and receive comprehensive services.

Bill :

I trust that you will be able to secure an appointment soon and if you have any difficulties, please feel free to get back to me.

Bill :

I trust that this will satisfy the needs you have identified and wish you the very best.

Bill :

If you have further questions, Feel free to ask now.

Customer:

Thank you very much for your help! Is there anything I should say that would help to fast track an appointment?

Bill :

Call 410-955-521 tell them that you need to be seen ASAP and they are usually very accommodating.

Bill :

Plus- You will receive State of the Art Care.

Bill :

You are most welcome and I wish you the best.

Bill :

Kindest regards, Bill

Customer:

Thank you very much! This sounds like the exact sort of thing I needed.