Dr. L
Dr. L, Psychologist
Experience:  Psychologist, Marriage and Family Therapist
63993671

I was watching an animated movie while working today and there

I was watching an animated movie while working today and there was a scene in it that made me feel extremely sad almost to the point of weeping. The movie (Rock and Rule, made in 1983) has a simple minded henchman character who is watching a children's show. He is clutching a toy from the show to his chest and singing along with the show. It isn't a scene that was intended to be sad but every time I think of that scene my chest feels heavy. I'm not sure if it is the implied innocents and simplicity of the character but it seemed to hit something deep down inside of me.

Dr. L :

Dr. L :

I would like to help you with your question.

Dr. L :

Do you have any idea what this deep feeling is inside you? Do you have a concern about innocent people?

Dr. L :

Did you and your wife reach any conclusions about what struck you?

Dr. L :

There is much in our world that is disturbing these days...shootings at schools...economic difficulties...do you think that any of these current dilemma's got hooked by this movie?

Dr. L :

Is there any changes in your life that have upset you lately? Are you under stress?

Dr. L :

Please tell me a little more about what you are feeling and how you are doing now.

Dr. L :

Thank you.

Customer:

I'm feeling a bit better now, maybe just talking about it seems to be helping. I'm not overly disturbed by anything going on in the world right now and I am in a very secure position with my work. Part of me thinks it could have something to do with a character that refused to grow up.

Customer:

As for my wife, she didn't really have anything to say. She recommended that I try searching for answers on the internet.

Dr. L :

Okay.

Dr. L :

I'm glad that you are feeling better. And..yes...I can see how the character's choice may have struck you as sad and how you might have wished he would have made a different choice. We tend to want others to have a happy life...and when you saw this character it might just have struck a cord in you about a wasted life.

Customer:

But I wonder if it might be partly the wasted life but also the sincere happiness he has. The fact the character is still for all intensive purposes a child.

Customer:

There is also the notion that he was never asked to grow up and was allowed to remain simple and happy.

Dr. L :

And do any of these thoughts feel familiar?

Dr. L :

Does it remind you of anything or anyone?

Dr. L :

Do you know others adults who seem happy in a childlike way?

Dr. L :

Or adults who were never encouraged to grow up?

Customer:

The thoughts do, I was pretty much raised on my own. It makes me think about my own childhood a little bit. Maybe the combination of an animated film along with the content was the trigger

Customer:

I work as an animator so I tend to watch a lot of cartoons but I never really watched them much when I was a kid

Dr. L :

Yes...when things feel "familiar" in that way...it usually is a link to our own life experience.

Customer:

I can see that

Dr. L :

And so...do you think that your occupation is...in a way...a strategy for making up for what you missed as a child?

Customer:

I could agree with that

Dr. L :

And now that we have made that link...what do you feel?

Customer:

That part of me wishes I was still a kid

Dr. L :

Yes....I can understand that feeling...

Dr. L :

And your career allows you to fulfill that wish...

Customer:

That I didn't have the worries and stresses I have in my life and I could just be happy

Dr. L :

to a degree...

Customer:

Yes that does make a lot of sense

Dr. L :

And yes...you wish for that carefree life that kids have...

Customer:

The trust and unconditional beliefe in a toy

Customer:

wow, thanks for you help Doc

Dr. L :

You are very, very welcome!

Customer:

I think I still have a lot to think about but this is a good start

Dr. L :

Yes... it would be good if you were to spend a bit of time thinking about this new insight...

Dr. L :

It really is quite natural and normal for us to fill the gaps in our childhood during our adulthood.

Customer:

Do you think I should try to reach out and have a face to face with a doctor

Customer:

Find a mental health professonal

Dr. L :

Let's put it this way...give yourself a bit of time to take this all in.

Customer:

Okay, I will do that.

Dr. L :

If you begin to feel upset by this insight..then consider seeing a psychologist to work through this. But if you feel okay... then let it go.

Customer:

Okay, I appreciate your help

Dr. L :

You have just learned something very important about yourself! And it may give you a new motivation and new energy for your career.

Customer:

That is a very positive way to view this

Dr. L :

I will say goodnight. If you should ever want to chat again in the future, just ask for me by name.

Dr. L :

I will be notified and we can pick up where we left off.

Customer:

Will do Dr. L

Dr. L :

Yes...it really is great learning and may lead to some new freedom.

Dr. L :

Good luck!

Customer:

Thanks!