Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

I have been diagnosed with GAD and depressionOKMH0123217

I have been diagnosed with GAD and depression last year at 25 however it started when I was 16 ( I'm only on Celexa ) I feel I have been given a wrong diagnosis. I am very obsessed with illness and I currently believe I have ovarian cancer because I do have all the symptons my doctors here in Canads tell me it's all in my head and won't give me tests , because in past 5 years I've had heart ultrasound and colonoscopies , bloodwork I do feel like there ignoring me , but I really do have all the symptons of ovarian cancer before when I found out the results of my ultrasound and they were good my symptons wold go away but the symptons I have now are persistent and know one will listen

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing such a difficult time getting the doctors to listen to your concerns. It can be very discouraging when you feel afraid that something is wrong but you cannot get anyone to pay attention.

If you have experienced symptoms again after you were tested, it sounds like you need to be retested to be sure there is nothing wrong. However, it may be easy for the doctors to dismiss your concerns because of the GAD diagnosis. Some doctors will see a diagnosis and automatically make assumptions based on that diagnosis instead of listening to you as a person separate from your diagnosis.

However, not all doctors will do that. The challenge here is to find one that will listen to you in spite of the GAD. Because of that, you may benefit from a patient advocate to help you find that doctor who will help.

By having someone who understands the medical world on your side, you can get your needs addressed and not have to face this alone. Here is a resource to help you (this resource is based on your JA information that you are in the U.S. Let me know if this is incorrect information):

http://www.yourmedicaladvocates.com/ecom.asp?

They should be able to address your concerns and help you find a doctor that will listen to you.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Can I help you any further?

Kate