TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

I have had mental health issues in the OKMH118211 (post)

I have had mental health issues in the military when I was on active duty. I had anxiety, depression, and adjustment troubles in 2006. I got out of the military in 2010. I had problems adjusting back to civilXXXXX XXXXXfe, anxiety, and depression. I was seen my a VA psychiatrist who diagnosed me with depression, general anxiety, adjusent disorder, mild obsessions, compulsive perfectionism, and seasonal affective disorder. This was all documented in 2011. I also told him I was diagnosed w ocd at the age of 7, and now my ocd as an adult is in the form of worrying and obssesing a lot, especially about my performance at college. With all this said, during my last and final session with my psychiatrist, my medical record states that after my doc asked how Ive been feeling in regard to my anxiety, I replied "much better." Then I said: "To me, the biggest culprit has been obsessive compulsive disorder." Based on this information, would a dr look at this and say OCD has caused all my anxiety based on my "biggest culprit" statement? I said it was the biggest culprit, not the only one.

Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like you were saying in your statement that you feel the biggest culprit in your symptoms and diagnoses is OCD. That simply means that OCD has been your biggest challenge and has possibly dominated all the other disorders.

How a doctor might view that varies depending on the doctor. They may simply see your statement as you way of saying that OCD is bothering you the most. Also, OCD is an anxiety based disorder. While that might dominate your other diagnoses, you can have another anxiety disorder that co exists. It all depends very much on your symptoms. It is like have sinus infection and a cold. Both are related to each other and caused by the same virus, but one diagnosis needs treated one way and the other a different way.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

so, in a nutshell a dr is more likely to view this statement as saying ocd has bothered me the most but hasnt been the 100% cause of the anxiety if other things are documented?

I think so. Every doctor is different in their interpretation, but a psychiatrist is going to understand that the OCD dominated your symptoms and bothered you the most. And psychiatrists (and therapists as well) understand that though OCD may be an anxiety disorder, you can be diagnosed with another anxiety disorder as well, which can cause other anxiety related symptoms.

Kate