Ryan LCSW
Ryan LCSW, Mental Health
Experience:  Individual and Family Therapist
16045978

Since I was a kid, I have run away from anything that scares

Since I was a kid, I have run away from anything that scares me and NOW my fear is my TONGUE. I am (now 42) cannot get rid of it i can't control constantly obsessing about it. This FEAR has been going on ALL of my life since I can remember, but the tongue issue is now new. Before this it was fear of dying...I cant run from me or my "tongue" which brings on the panic attacks. I am on meds but the panic is always lurking...and I am reapeting "cant get rid of my tongue" all day long in my mind....help! :)
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ryan LCSW replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd like to help you out.

I'm terribly sorry to hear about what you're going through with these fears. If you have had obsessive thoughts in the past, then the problem more likely has to do with those obsessive thought rather than your tongue specifically. At this point your tongue just seems to have become the focal point of the obsessive thoughts, and it is not uncommon that throughout your life the obsessive thoughts would focus on different things

This type of problem is very commonly associated with obsessive compulsive disorder. Repetative thoughts of any type throughout your entire day can be very scary, frustrating, and exhausting. Fortunately this is a relatively common problem that people experience, and it is generally very treatable with the right combination of medication and counseling.

If you are not already in counseling I would certainly recommend it, which will help you greatly to cope with these thoughts. However, either way it seems that the medication that you're currently taking either isn't working, or isn't working sufficiently, so it is also important to have that reevaluated. There are a lot of different medications that can help you to get these obsessive thoughts under control, and many times it is just a matter of finding the right medication and dosage that you respond well to. I'd suspect that once you do find a more helpful medication, that you will have a much easier time controlling some of these obsessive thoughts on your own.

I definitely wish you the best with all of this and if there's anything else I can do to help just let me know.

Ryan
Ryan LCSW, Mental Health
Experience: Individual and Family Therapist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Last question... have you ever heard of anyone else ever doing this..specifically with the tongue?

Expert:  Ryan LCSW replied 1 year ago.
No problem :) I have come across people who have developed fears and obsessive thought of many things, including other body parts such as stomach, genitals, feet, etc, but I don't believe I've encountered the same type of fear with the tongue. However, it is not unusual for obsessive thoughts to manifest themselves in seemingly strange ways and develop fears of different things, so I would not be alarmed or think it is extremely unusual for those thoughts to be directed at your tongue. All obsessive thought situations are slightly different, but in treating this problem, the focal point would always be on the obsessive nature of the thoughts, rather than what they are directed at (in this case your tongue). Best of luck with everything and hang in there,

Ryan
Expert:  Ryan LCSW replied 1 year ago.
Hey there, I never heard back from you so I hope that I was able to help you out. If you wouldn't mind leaving me a positive review for my time I'd really appreciate it, and of course if there's anything else I can do to help just let me know.

Ryan