TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

This is not a question regarding a child. It is for myself.

This is not a question regarding a child. It is for myself. I have thought processes of past emotional abuse that I cannot control. I have had a difficult life and do not know how to cope. I have been seeing Dr's for at least 15 years. Medication only makes me feel foggy and am unable to keep a job. I feel very ill, and don't go out of the house much. Getting worse with age. I am now 52. I just want to live life. These thoughts are brought on by things that happen in my home or on TV or just when ever something reminds me of upsetting memories.  I have been weaning myself off Klonopin and Prozac. Thought it might help.  So I am a little emotional right now.  Nonetheless, this happens to me and some times it is dibilitating.  Take to bed.  I am not depressed, I want to be happy and feel good and do things. I think I could be in a fight or flight response every day all day.  This has been going on WAY too long. I really need help, but nothing seems to have an "all around" good effect.  (One med. makes another part of me feel bad, while maybe helping SOME in one area.)

Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like you may have an anxiety disorder. You are on medications that indicate the doctor feels you have anxiety and depression. While medications are helpful to control your symptoms if you have trouble functioning for many people the side effects are difficult to deal with. And with most diagnoses, medications are good for a short time but therapy is more helpful in reducing or eliminating symptoms.

Anxiety is a common reaction to an abusive childhood. You may also have PTSD- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder- because of what you have been through. The persistent memories and triggers as well as the anxiety may indicate PTSD.

When you are anxious, your thoughts are causing your mind to think your in danger. Your body reacts by releasing adrenaline into your system. Adrenaline cause you to feel the body symptoms that are common with anxiety. It is much like after you have had a bad scare except with anxiety, there is no focus. The only thing you have to focus on is how you feel. And because your thoughts are probably always on alert, so is your body. This may be why you always feel anxious.

The good news is that anxiety is easy to treat with therapy. In therapy, you learn to pay attention to what you are thinking to make yourself anxious. The therapist then can help you change your thoughts and therefore how your body reacts to your thoughts. You also can learn about how to let yourself float through your anxiety thereby gaining more control over how you feel. When anxiety comes on, you allow it to flow over you without tensing in response. This makes the anxiety reduce or go away faster. To find a therapist, talk to your doctor about a referral. Or you can search on line at http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/.

You can also help yourself at home. There are numerous resources to help you learn more about anxiety. Here are some to get you started:

The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Edmund Bourne is excellent for any fears. It is self help and contains everything from supplements to relaxation techniques.

The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Anxiety: A Step-by-Step Program by Bill Knaus Ed.D. and Jon Carlson Psy.D. Ed.D.

From Panic to Power: Proven Techniques to Calm Your Anxieties, Conquer Your Fears, and Put You in Control of Your Life by Lucinda Bassett

http://helpguide.org/mental/anxiety_types_symptoms_treatment.htm

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/post_traumatic_stress_disorder_symptoms_treatment.htm

You can find these books on Amazon.com or your local library may have them for you.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Kate-This is what I really already knew, and is right on. I guess I just needed another confirmation. But, yes this is helpful. I was hoping maybe it was something else...simpler. Pills just aren't going to help this. I will try some more self help books. Trying so hard to get off these meds so I can be NORMAL. I feel very sick. But I will be seeing my Neuro. hopefully this week. Thank you:) If I may ask, is there somewhere I may go to get help and stay?

You're welcome! I know this is hard, but with therapy you can recover. Doctors can only do so much with medication. The rest is just a matter of changing your thoughts and treating the anxiety and PTSD, if you do have that diagnosis.

You can ask your doctor if it is possible to be admitted to the hospital, but it is difficult to get in these days unless you are in danger of hurting yourself or your symptoms are so bad your health is at risk. But asking doesn't hurt. You can also consider group therapy, which may give you more support than one on one therapy. Your local community mental health center may have more information on what is available in your area.

Kate

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!