TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Hi there I have been on a downward spiral for several years

Hi there I have been on a downward spiral for several years becoming more and more depressed & suffering from anxiety and an inability to socialise with people successfully or comfortably. My mood and inability to express emotion in my voice or face have distanced my family & damaged my relationship significantly.

I have finally made the step to get help after numerous thoughts & feelings of taking my life. I'm now on anti-depressants which I have been a few months as well as going to CBT. However I do not feel my thoughts and feelings can totally be underlined as being a person with depression & anxiety and suspect I may have another mental illness such as 'schizophrenia' but I'm unsure what to do & am quite ashamed to voice my thoughts.

I have times where I think there are people watching me in mirrors or in my bedroom. In work I occasionally feel people can hear my thoughts so I censor them, or feel the urge to lash out at people for no reason. My head buzzes with information and ideas that I find hard to manage and filter through one at a time. I'm in touch with reality as far as I'm aware but these things cause me fear & distress. I talk to myself all the time but in recent weeks I hear a second voice which interrupts my thoughts and whispers negative words which I try and counteract.

Overall I would like some advice and would really appreciate it, I don't know if I'm reading into things too much or how common these kind of thoughts are, thank you.
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

It is common for symptoms related to Schizophrenia to show up around the age you are now, in the early 20's. While what you are experiencing may not be Schizophrenia, it is not a good idea to ignore these symptoms.

The symptoms you describe can also be part of a disorder called Paranoid personality disorder, Schizophrenia or a psychotic break. There is also psychosis that is related to depression that could be a possibility. Sometimes these symptoms can be persistent (without treatment) or they could be temporary, which is why it is so important that you consider getting another evaluation. If you have spoken to your current therapist and they have not done another evaluation to determine why you are having these symptoms, then you need another professionals opinion.

You may also want to explore information about your symptoms to see if you feel you match any of the possible disorders. Here are some links to help:

Once you find out what you might have, there are a number of treatment options. Medications are usually the best option for these types of symptoms because hallucinations and paranoia is thought to be biologically based. But speak with your therapist and psychiatrist for the best options for you.

I hope this has helped you,
This resource may help you as well:

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't know if you got this message already if so I do apologise. Thank you for your help and information, I Can relate mostly to the psychotic disorder symptoms. I have not spoken to my therapist about these thoughts as I have trouble of knowing how to bring it to attention or what to say as I have been ashamed of this for a long time. I feel it will be viewed as affects from my medication or depression, when I have felt this long before taking anything.

It can be difficult to talk about, but keep in mind that your therapist hears about these things all the time and they also should be well trained in knowing what diagnosis you may have. You may want to bring it up by saying that you have noticed some symptoms and you want his/her impression of what they might mean. Having these symptoms are not something you can control, anymore than you could control having the flu or a heart condition. And your therapist will understand that. And bringing it up a bit later is also understandable.

Thank you so much for the positive rating and very generous bonus! I really appreciate it. And if you feel you need to talk or have any questions, I'm here. Take care.

My best to you,