TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

My 23 year old daughter is currently suffering with MAJOR anxiety

My 23 year old daughter is currently suffering with MAJOR anxiety which is causing her to be unable to sleep. She is in the process of talking with a Phsychiatrist, but can't get in for over 3 weeks. I feel like she needs some serious help NOW. Any thoughts you could lend would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! Lynette
Hello Lynette, I'd like to help you with your question.

Anxiety can be very difficult to cope with because it feels like it takes over your life. It can affect everything from daily routine to sleep patterns. However, because anxiety is so common, there are many ways to treat it.

Seeing a psychiatrist is a good step for your daughter. Psychiatrists can prescribe mediation which can give your daughter help to cope better. Some psychiatrists also do therapy. If your daughter's psychiatrist does not do therapy, your daughter can see a Master's level or Ph.D level therapist. They do not prescribe medications but instead do therapy. You can find one through the psychiatrist she sees or she can talk with her doctor for a referral.

Anxiety can also be addressed through self help. There are numerous resources which can help you and your daughter learn more about anxiety so she can develop coping mechanisms to help her next time she feels anxious. Along with books, there are links and support groups so she can get support with others who have anxiety. Here is a list to help you get started:

On line links:

The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Edmund J. Bourne

When Panic Attacks: The New, Drug-Free Anxiety Therapy That Can Change Your Life by David D. Burns

The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Anxiety: A Step-by-Step Program by William J. Knaus EdD and Jon Carlson PsyD EdD

Coping with Anxiety: 10 Simple Ways to Relieve Anxiety, Fear & Worry by Edmund J. Bourne and Lorna Garano

Support groups:

Also, to help your daughter sleep, she can learn a very common technique called progressive muscle relaxation. The more she practices this technique, the easier it will be for her to relax when she needs to. Here is a link to help her learn the technique:

She can also see her family doctor to ask for a sleep aid or a medication such as Ativan, which is a medication she can take as needed that will help her relax. It will help her feel better until she can get into treatment.

I hope this has helped you,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Kate, Thanks so much! There are so many crazy medications out there, I really appreciate having the name of one that you suggest. I appreciate your input & all of the links. Hopefully the combination will help her get out of this slump, Thank you again! Lynette

You're welcome, Lynette! I am happy to help. Anxiety is unsettling but with treatment, your daughter will be fine. Anxiety is very easy to treat with therapy and self help. The medication can help her cope until treatment kicks in. So let her know to hang in there. She will feel better soon.

Take care,