TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

Ok. So just been reading through a of the stories on here.

Ok. So just been reading through a of the stories on here. Sounds tough and I hope these people find a way to deal withtheir condition. I guess I'm on here because I think i know what's wrong with me but I'm don't what to do about it and I'm not sure if its depression or not. First of all I get extremely nervous in front of people but I'm good at hiding it. The problem is, even though people seem to ike me, I think I can come across as a bit odd. My mind goes into overdrive in a social situation sometimes so its hard to be myself. If I become centre of attention all of a sudden well that's just a disaster. The things is I'm actually quite clever and can be funny so it depressing that I can't be myself. In the week I definitely get feelings of anger towards situations that's you shouldn't let yourself get angry over. This is anger side and no one an tell except that I can be irritable at home sometimes even though family are just being nice or caring. Been feeling like this for 10 years
Hello, I'd like to help you with your problem.

Have you experienced any problems with appetite, sleep, changing moods (from sad to happy in a short period of time) or lack of interest in anything? Or have you had any difficulty with anxiety in the past? Any traumas or abuse?

Thank you,
Kate
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello

Thank you for your response. Definitely been struggling with sleep on and off the past year. I've been very tired but still find it hard to fall asleep. Always have had a healthy appetite but I can be pretty moody sometimes. It will last a few days then I feel happier. Think I've been getting anxious for a long time now. I don't remember getting feelings like this before it all started. Haven't been abused but there has been some traumatic situations. Losing someone special suddenly, my brother had a serious accident and I thought we almost lost him, family members passing. These things do happen though and i know they're hard to accept but I was definitely feeling this way before those things happened.

I've had times when I think I'm doing well and i'm getting over it but then I fall back into it. I think I do need some help because its been a long time now and I still feel like this.

Thank you for the additional information.

It sounds like you may have depression, along with social anxiety. The anxiety seems very prominent when you are with other people, indicating that it is limited to social situations. And if you are struggling socially, this can cause you to feel depressed.

It does not sound like you are experiencing anything like Bipolar disorder which is why I asked you about your moods.

You may want to explore both anxiety and depression to see if you feel you fit the symptoms. Here is more information on both to help you get started:

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/depression_signs_types_diagnosis_treatment.htm

http://www.helpguide.org/topics/anxiety.htm

By looking through all the symptoms, you can identify which ones you feel fit your experience.

One of the best ways to determine what is going on is to see a therapist for a face to face evaluation. The therapist will get an extensive history and a comprehensive list of your symptoms in order to provide you with a diagnosis. The therapist will also tell you what the best course of treatment is for you at this point.

Given your symptoms, you probably would benefit most from short term therapy and self help, to help you learn how to cope with what you feel, particularly when you are the center of attention and with a group and begin to experience anxiety. It can be unsettling to have symptoms of anxiety when you just want to feel ok. In order to cope with your symptoms, facing your fear is one of the best ways to help yourself to overcome the symptoms associated with it. Once you learn to face what you feel, you learn to no longer feel afraid. This is best done with the help of a therapist who can provide support and help explain why you feel as you do. But you can also do it on your own through self help. Here are some resources to help:

The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Edmund J. Bourne

Anxiety, Phobias, & Panic: A Step-by-Step Program for Regaining Control of Your Life by Reneau Z. Peurifoy

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/social_anxiety_support_symptom_causes_treatment.htm

Also, try to remember to relax. Keep in mind that you are acceptable as a person and no one is there to judge you. It can help to practice relaxation so when you feel nervous, you can train yourself to relax. Here is a link to a commonly used technique for anxiety:

http://www.guidetopsychology.com/pmr.htm

Practice this until you can do it automatically. It will help you.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!
Can I help you any further?

Kate
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Kate

I'm really sorry about having to go offline earlier, some family friends popped in for tea and it ran on a while.

Thank you for your reply. It really has helped and I like some of the links you sent me. I think I've been pretty silly not seeking help before now because even just admitting to myself that there's something wrong and I have to do something about it is making me think clearer. Nothing is going to change or get better on its own, which was a thought I think i was fooling myself with. Going to get therapy and really talk about whats been going on for so long. Thanks again.