Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

I have been thru different issues taking antidepressants, bad

I have been thru different issues taking antidepressants, bad reactions to them ex suicidal thought etc but i get in minor arguments with myspouse and i take it so serious that i feel its over, my body goes into a state of distress, my stomach cramps up, my head gets extreme pressure,i get so upset not crying but bottling up inside.i want to scream but can't.my head hurts so bad then i feel exhausted and have to sleep before i can feel better.i get anxiety and can't deal with normal tasks.
I'm taking diazepam when i feel out of control but it only calls me down slightly but i go right back.am i crazy? I have suffered trauma in my life and experienced bad things that Huant me but I'm unsure if related.i need help.don't know where to start.I've tried coping skills classes
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like that when you argue with your spouse, it may trigger the trauma you suffered in the past, bringing up those feelings.

When you have suffered through a trauma, it is easy to feel overwhelmed. You have been through something that caused extreme emotion. And often after a trauma, people become more in touch with those feelings, especially if they have not worked through them. When something upsetting happens, the emotions get triggered. The feelings become so intense that you are unable to cope with them and you experience symptoms like you do.

If you have not worked through what happened to you in the past, it is a good idea to consider doing so as a first step. Initially, that can feel overwhelming to consider. But through therapy and self help, you can take one step at a time. And as you work through your feelings, you will begin to develop ways to cope which will help you with anything that upsets you. Even if you have tried therapy and did not feel it helps, consider trying again. Sometimes it can take a while to find the right therapist who can support you through working out your emotions.

Try talking to your doctor for a referral. Or you can search on line at http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/prof_search.php.

While your medication is helpful, medication can only take the edge off your symptoms. It cannot deal with the original issue which will still bother you until it is dealt with.

You can also learn more about how trauma affects you through self help. There are numerous on line and in person support groups as well as resources that talk about how trauma affects you and what you can do about it to help yourself. Here is a resource to get you started:

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/emotional_psychological_trauma.htm

It may also help you to learn progressive relaxation to give you a way to calm down when you begin to experience these symptoms. Here is a link to help you learn how to use this technique:

http://www.guidetopsychology.com/pmr.htm

The more you practice this technique, the easier it will be to use it to help yourself feel better.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you i will check out links.is this normal for my body to hurt after,are there chemicals causing this? i find myself reacting to everythibg as if its end of world. i feel like a child who only does wrong.

my head feels as if it will explode,i cant stop pain

You're welcome.

It is very normal for you to hurt afterwards because of the intensity of what you have been through when you get upset. Very strong emotions often cause symptoms in our bodies when we feel them. For example, if you have a bad day at work, you may come home to find your neck muscles hurting and you have a headache. In that same way, when you experience the reaction you do during a disagreement, those feelings affect your body. The progressive relaxation will help you get more in touch with this and help you learn to relax so you don't feel as badly.

Kate
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

does it mean im bipolar or something, i dont ever feel elevated or up,i cant really pin point reason why but i have only gotten worse over last few years......is this common? you have been very helpful

Not based on the symptoms you are describing. It sounds more like past trauma. It can help to think of it like a soldier coming home from war. They become so used to being guarded and jumping at every noise, they easily become upset by anything, even when they are perfectly safe. And they react to small things with intense emotion. It is the same for trauma survivors. Getting worse could just mean that your symptoms are telling you that this needs dealt with through therapy and self help.

Kate

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.