Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

Dear Dr. Keane (live chat), Its been a good few months (between

Dear Dr. Keane (live chat), It’s been a good few months (between 6 and 9 months) since I started to take Fluoxitine for woman’s monthlys. I am now unsure whether I should continue or not. I don’t want to become hooked on them that I can’t ever get off of it. On the other-hand I know that the fluoxitine does help when I take it over those 10 days. I partly wonder if I should try without them for this month and see how I go, but then that makes me feel a bit anxious too, because there might not be a difference unless I’m taking the medication. As I value and take heed of your comments and opinions, I would like advice to know: what would you do in this position? I've not ran out yet, still have enough for the next "woman monthly". The last time I went to the GP for more before actually running out, but due to when I take them, that's not a problem if I do. I hope we catch each other before I have to go out. If we don’t, I’ll still be interested in your response and I can respond if you like, when I get back. Do you have the new season of DA yet? Christmas special was very good as was the Christmas special of Call the Midwife. Both are still worth watching. We’re due the next season of Call the Midwife soon, not exactly sure when yet. I hope you are having a good week.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 1 year ago.

Dr.Keane :

Hi

Dr.Keane :

If you have had success with this medication and it helps, I would not worry about getting "hooked". When and if the time comes and your GP feels you should try to go off them she will tell you how. To ease your concerns, next time you see her ask her about it. My opinion is if you are feeling better on them then stay on them. I understand you don't want to rely on medication however (as I suggest to others who worry or don't like taking medication), if you were diabetic and had to rely on insulin you would do it because it's necessary. Same thing here, if it works why would you subject yourself to possibly feeling the way you did before?

Dr.Keane :

DA started on Sunday, I was pleased it came back for another season, so well done. Call the Midwife has really taken off in the states. I saw six episodes and don't believe the Christmas one was broadcast here, I'll have to check. Glad to see another season. I saw "Chummy" on the Graham Norton show but was in a crowded room so didn't get to hear much with all the conversation going on. Would have liked to see that.

Customer:

Hi

Dr.Keane :

It says you are here but I have to go in a minute. I'll wait

Customer:

Thanks

Dr.Keane :

as long as I can

Customer:

I have just got here

Customer:

Just returned from work and got to log in

Dr.Keane :

hi, glad we managed to be here at same time

Dr.Keane :

bankers hours? off work early...lol

Customer:

me too

Customer:

lol

Dr.Keane :

so quickly tell me why the thoughts about going off the medication before I have to go

Customer:

sort of like that, all the kids are safely home

Dr.Keane :

are you just curious as to how you would feel?

Customer:

Well, mainly because I'm not sure how long I should stay on the medication

Customer:

and a bit curious as to how I would feel and so as to not get so reliant on them because they are powerful things.

Dr.Keane :

I see, well I think that is something you need to discuss with your GP. I understand your concern about taking medication but as I said if you need it, take it.

Customer:

ok, that makes sense. It just felt like quite a long time to be on them, even though it's only over about 10 days per month but then it's also taken awhile for my body to adjust to them too, which I think on the whole has. There's certainly less side-effects than what I used to experience when I first started taking them.

Dr.Keane :

Let the GP help, I am not an MD and like you I do not want to take medication unless it is necessary. I will add that if Idid and it helped me feel better I would take it as long as necessary.

Customer:

I know that you aren't and MD. Just wanted an opinion from someone who wasn't an MD first.

Dr.Keane :

And now that your body has adjusted you may (not sure since not expert) throw it out of rhythm if you stop, and your symptoms could come back and be more severe (or less severe). That is why you need the GP's advise. So that's my opinion :)

Customer:

I didn't get to see "Chummy" on the Graham Norton show at all. I'm sure it'll be somewhere on the internet and you never know, you may find the Christmas episode.

Customer:

Oh that doesn't sound good, that'll be something I'll need to explore a bit further as don't want symptoms to be more severe, bad enough with pmt without severe symptoms due to medication.

Customer:

I'll ask the GP then on how long she thinks I should go on being prescribed the medication and what's safe as I'm on and off them all the time, so that may make a difference I guess too.

Dr.Keane :

Just take your time deciding and when you start to fret or worry about taking them just tell yourself how much better you are feeling during those days when you use to feel awful.

Customer:

I feel I am getting a bit better with taking them, hated it to begin with and didn't like myself too much for taking them, but getting used to it.

Dr.Keane :

Good idea, some physicians prefer patients to be on them every day but other like yours are more selective in when to take them. You seem to be doing well taking them the way you do. You really can be hard on yourself, glad to see you decided to make the change. Not so awful right???

Customer:

right!!

Dr.Keane :

Okay, I have to go, glad I caught up with you this morning (or afternoon where you are!) talk to you soon. Enjoy the rest of your day...

Customer:

Talk to you soon and thank you!

Customer:

:)

Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience: Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.