TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

My shrink forced me into what she calls movement group therapy.

My shrink forced me into what she calls movement group therapy. Once I entered the gym hall I paniced and I refused to move and she asked me to leave. Now, she says she cannot help me and I fear relapse, I was diagonised as being a love addict and codepednent. I want to know why I refuse this movement group therapy and cannot bring myself to participate.
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like you might have experienced a fear response to the situation. Therapy is often anxiety arousing because it brings out deeper feelings that most of us try to hide from others. And even just talking about what you feel can bring out feelings of anxiety. This is often most true when faced with a new challenge like you were with the movement group therapy. Also, if there were others involved (with group therapy there usually is), then you could have been fearful of "exposing" your feelings to others in the group and feeling vulnerable, especially if you were hurt in the past in some way.

It may help to find a therapist that understands your fear and is willing to treat you with therapy you find most comfortable for you. Talk to your doctor about a referral or seek out referrals on line or through your local university.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So, am I in risk of relapse or suffering severe consequences or it is just an incident.

Most likely the treatment you have received so far should have helped you come to the point that your coping much better than you were before. Even if you just had short term treatment, that is going to help. So it is very unlikely that you will suffer any type of relapse or severe consequences.

Kate