Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

my daugther is attached to the pacifier when she is at home

my daugther is attached to the pacifier when she is at home or out with us (but won't have it at school). she is 4 but she won't let go. how do we decide if we need to make her let go. also what is a good way to make her let go of the habit without any "trauma"?!
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

It can be difficult to wean your child off a pacifier, but it can be done by taking small steps:

Start by identifying the times when your daughter is not as likely to use her pacifier. Then take it away for that time and occupy her with something else to do.

Make a chart with a reward system. Each time your child is willing to go without her pacifier, give her a reward from a small basket filled with toys (like crayons, small stuffed animals, etc).

Let her pick out a new security item such as a stuffed animal or blanket. Each time she tries to use the pacifier, offer her the item instead of her pacifier.

Talk to your daughter about quitting her pacifier. Let her know that although she likes it, she is too old now and needs to consider giving it up. Don't make it a "have to" just yet, but keep talking to her about it.

Set a date. Ask your daughter to pick a date when she feels she is ready to do something to get rid of the pacifier. Offer a reward if she meets that date, like a lunch out at a favorite place or a play date.

As long as you try these ideas at a slow pace, she should become used to the idea and be able to give the pacifier up.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.