Dr. Bonnie
Dr. Bonnie, Psychologist and RN
Experience:  35 years experience counseling children and families

I feel I am always angry. The smallest things irritate me and

I feel I am always angry. The smallest things irritate me and I cannot seem to let anything go. When I get upset at things later I look back and wonder why I had such an extreme reaction. I am starting to take it out more and more on my friends and family. The more I try and be aware of the problem and stop the worse I seem to become. I have tried to stop and I don't want to be this person. This is not something new, I have always been this way but I am so tiered of it. I cannot seem to figure out how to fix my problem on my own, what can I do to stop. I don't want to be known as a ticking time bomb and I hate always having to apologize because I take it out on my friends. What can I do to fix this problem?
Hello and thank you for using our service. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be answering your question today.

Just a few questions first? Do you have a history of childhood abuse? Do you ever feel like hurting yourself or others (or have you ever)? Have you ever thought you may be depressed?

I'll be awaiting for your reply...adn then I have some ideas for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No childhood abuse, happy home great parents (still married).

Never thought of hurting myself or others.

Depression I am not sure. Never thought about assessing it.

Hi Rachel,
Thanks for the quick reply. Feelings of anger and agitation can be one of the signs of depression. You may have started out with an irritable temperament (personality) but after years of dealing with this, you have become depressed. Or if depression "runs in the family" you may have been depressed all along (it can be familial and indicates a chemical imbalance of the neurotransmitters of the brain which regulate emotions).

So first, an assessment of possible depression is recommended. Here is the official way that depression is diagnosed: Beck Depression Inventory. See what you think..

Let me know your score and then, we can talk further....
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I took the quiz, got an 18. Do you need what I answered on each question?

Can depression effect sex drive and sleep along with anger?

Hi again Rachel,

No that is enough information to suggest that you are having mild to moderate symptoms of depression. Here is the recommended treatment for depression:
  • Individual psychotherapy using Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CDT). Here are 2 places to find a therapist:

(look for cbt therapists in the filter on the left column;)

• Medication: an antidepressant medication called an SSRI (i.e., Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil and others); This can be prescribed by your primary doctor or a psychiatrist.

I hope that one of these directions will be helpful to you.

Warm regards...

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry, I think I might need some help clarifying. So in your opinion do you think looking to me having anger issues I should look at me having depression?
Sorry I did not see your questions in last post.
Sleep, appetite and sex drive are all affected by depression. These are called vegetative symptoms.

Yes, I think your anger is just one symptom of depression and you have others based on your score of 18 (borderline moderate depression.). If your depression is treated, the anger will resolve too.

FYI, the SSRI antidepressants also reduce sex drive so if that is a concern, another medication Wellbutrin is a better choice and even enhances sex drive.