TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Should I even consider developing a serious relationship with

Should I even consider developing a serious relationship with a wonderful person who happens to have an eating disorder. Don't want to sound selfish in any way, but am I setting myself up for a future of discomfort? Or, is this an exclamation of my love and compassion for her?
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

It is understandable that you feel hesitant to get into a relationship with someone who has an eating disorder. Anytime you see flaws in a potential partner, it can send up red flags and cause you to feel concerned.

However, if you feel that this person is otherwise wonderful, the communication between you is good and you have strong feelings for her, then it may be worth the risk. Any relationship is going to include problems, whether that involves health or emotional issues. There is no guarantee that someone you choose to be with will not get cancer, die in an accident or develop depression. The key is whether or not you feel you love the person enough to help them through whatever is going on.

You can also talk to this person and express your concern. Find out what kinds of treatments they are involved in or if they recognize they even have an issue. For example, if the person refused to acknowledge the problem and won't get help, you may want to reconsider the relationship. Someone who avoids a problem like this is likely to avoid other issues in life as well. But if the person is in treatment, recognizes they have an issue and wants to get better, your support may make a lot of difference to them.

Also, take your relationship slow. You can get to know the person as you go along and decide if the good outweighs the bad and you feel your relationship will work.

I hope this has helped you,
Thank you very much for the positive rating and bonus! I appreciate it.

My best to you,